NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Bonwick Capital Partners, one of the largest minority-owned broker dealer firms, announces the creation of its Municipal Finance Group. The new team of 11 professionals will be co-headed by Michael Murray and Tony Stovall, who join the New York office as Executive Managing Directors. Additionally, Texas State Senator Rodney Ellis and Howard Mackey join the firm as Managing Director and Executive Vice President, respectively.
“The creation of the municipal finance group is a natural extension of our business and complements our existing capabilities in fixed income,” said Devin Wicker, Bonwick Capital Partners founder & CEO.
Rashaun Williams, Partner, Head of Corporate Finance for Bonwick added: “Under Tony and Michael’s leadership, we will continue to build a formidable team with deep expertise and a proven track record in municipal finance banking, underwriting and secondary trading.”
Bonwick’s new municipal finance leadership has over $30 billion of municipal bond and financial products issuance experience:
- Michael Murray was one of the early partners at Rice Financial Products with a 20-year tenure. While there, he served as President, Chief Compliance Officer and head of the Quantitative Finance Group; he was also involved in the structuring of many of the firm’s derivative products and bond transactions. Over the course of his 25-year career, Mr. Murray has overseen more than $15 billion in municipal debt and financial products for issuers including the New Jersey Turnpike Authority, the Virgin Islands and its authorities, the Jackson Public School District, Miami Dade County, Washington DC and the City of New York.
- Tony Stovall, a 24-year municipal finance veteran, started his career at M. R. Beal & Company where he was co-head of the investment banking department. Prior to Joining Bonwick Capital, he was a partner at Rice. Mr. Stovall has served as a senior manager on over $10 billion of debt for issuers including the State of California, State of Mississippi, Alameda County, the City of Jackson and Hinds County, MS.
- Howard Mackey, Executive Vice President, is Head of the Sales, Trading and Underwriting Desk of Bonwick’s Municipal Finance Group. He is a 33-year veteran, having recently been Head of Sales and Trading at Rice. Over his career, Mr. Mackey has served as the book-running senior manager for numerous transactions totaling over $8 billion. Additionally, he has served as the senior manager on issues ranging from $643 million to as small as $4 million. The more notable issuers for which he has acted as book-runner are New York City, the State of Connecticut, the Dormitory Authority for the State of New York, Washington D.C., Houston Texas, and the City of Chicago.
- Senator Rodney Ellis, a 25-year state senator, began his municipal finance career in 1992, when he co-founded the municipal finance firm, Apex Securities Inc. Senator Ellis became a Partner at Rice in 1998. He is a seasoned banker and has covered municipal issuers across the country including the City and County of Denver, City of Atlanta and Charleston, SC.
- Kenneth Sawyer joins as Vice President, based in Chicago. He will be responsible for the firm’s Midwest clients. Mr. Sawyer is a municipal finance and political veteran where he most recently served as a Deputy in the City of Chicago Treasurer’s office. Prior, he worked in the office of United States Senator Roland Burris, serving as the Illinois State Director.
Taxable Fixed Income Group
Bonwick also announces the creation of its new Taxable Fixed Income Group and the hiring of two sales and trading executives: Carol Mackoff and Ken Bruce, both taxable fixed income veterans with over 30 years of municipal finance experience. Prior to joining Bonwick, both Ms. Mackoff and Mr. Bruce were Taxable Fixed Income Group sales professionals at Rice Financial Products where Ms. Mackoff managed the taxable fixed income desk and Mr. Bruce was a Senior Vice President. Ms. Mackoff will be based in the firm’s recently expanded Chicago office and Mr. Bruce will be based in the firm’s Downingtown, PA office.
About Bonwick Capital Partners
Bonwick Capital Partners, LLC is dedicated to providing top-tier service to institutional clients across sales and trading, investment banking and corporate advisory. Our clients rely upon our deep industry knowledge to assist them through the investment process, sourcing deals, conducting due diligence, capital raises and business solutions. Bonwick has a diverse global client base which spans five continents and these relationships allow us to address a wide range of client needs across different time zones and cultures. Bonwick is headquartered in New York City, with additional offices in Los Angeles and Chicago.