CAMARILLO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Semtech Corporation (Nasdaq: SMTC), a leading supplier of analog and mixed-signal semiconductors, today announced Orange, one of the largest mobile network operators (MNO) in the world, selected its LoRa® RF technology for a low-power, wide-area network (LPWAN) scheduled to deploy in the first quarter of 2016. Orange will use the LoRa LPWAN to connect low-power sensors to mainly “smart city” applications across France.
Orange is one of the largest operators in Europe, Middle East and Africa, operating cellular networks in 29 countries and is a major actor in machine-to-machine (M2M) cellular connectivity for Internet of Things (IoT) applications. The company will use its LoRa IoT network to connect more IoT applications and complement its existing success in cellular M2M. The two-way LoRa wireless solution offers unprecedented range and low-power connectivity to target sensor applications that need long battery lifetime and a lower price point than what can be achieved today with cellular communications.
After pilot testing the long range, wide-area network (LoRaWAN) in Grenoble, France, with more than 30 partners, Orange ultimately decided to implement the technology nationwide, as well as adopt the LoRaWAN standard, which promotes seamless interoperability between sensors and network gateways to enable IoT applications. To date, Orange is the largest MNO adopter of the LoRaWAN standard. This is a significant step for the IoT industry because large, nationwide deployments by MNOs lower the barriers of entry for IoT developers and solutions providers by reducing the cost of connectivity.
Semtech is a founding member of the LoRa Alliance, which is a fast-growing ecosystem of partners that aims to standardize LoRaWAN globally and provide an open platform to scale IoT, M2M and smart city applications. A complete ecosystem of sensors, modules and system solutions with the LoRaWAN communication protocol is already developed to ensure fast return on investment (ROI) of LPWAN network deployments.
“Semtech has built a very strong platform for low-power sensors to wirelessly connect to wide-area networks. Fueled by Semtech LoRa technology, network operators allow consumers and businesses everywhere to offer large scale, Internet-based services including asset tracking, metering, security, home automation, intelligent buildings and smart cities,” said Marc Pegulu, Vice President and General Manager of Semtech’s Wireless, Sensing and Timing Product Group.
“Semtech is committed to delivering long range wireless platforms using open standards to foster global adoption of LoRa-based networks,” said Mohan Maheswaran, Semtech’s CEO. “We are excited Orange has chosen to deploy a low-power, wide-area network based on our technology across France. This marks a significant milestone for Semtech as we move toward our goal of enabling IoT applications worldwide through standardization of LoRaWAN and the ecosystem of the LoRa Alliance.”
Key Features of LoRa RF Technology:
- Long Range: A single LoRa base station enables deep penetration capability for dense urban environments and indoor coverage, while also providing the ability to connect to sensors more than 15-30 miles away in rural areas.
- Low Cost: LoRa reduces both upfront infrastructure investments and operating costs, as well as end-node sensor costs.
- Standardized: LoRaWAN ensures interoperability among applications, IoT solution providers and telecom operators to speed adoption and deployment.
- Low Power: The LoRaWAN protocol was developed specifically for low power and enables unprecedented multi-year battery lifetime.
- The LoRa Alliance is currently accepting new members and will be hosting an open house and all members meeting on November 9-10 in Rotterdam, Netherlands. For more information or to register, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For more information regarding LoRa, Semtech is hosting free virtual workshops this fall. Register here.
- For more detailed information and hands-on training with a complete starter kit, register for an upcoming LoRa Boot Camp here.
- LoRa community video: www.semtech.com/video/lora-community-video.html
- To learn more about LoRa wireless solutions: www.semtech.com/wireless-rf/lora.html
- LoRa FAQs: www.semtech.com/wireless-rf/lora/LoRa-FAQs.pdf
- For technical support or general product inquiries, contact Semtech’s support team.
- For quarterly product updates, sign up for Semtech’s e-newsletter Inside Circuit.
- Find Semtech on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+.
Semtech Corporation is a leading supplier of analog and mixed-signal semiconductors for high-end consumer, enterprise computing, communications and industrial equipment. Products are designed to benefit the engineering community as well as the global community. The company is dedicated to reducing the impact it, and its products, have on the environment. Internal green programs seek to reduce waste through material and manufacturing control, use of green technology and designing for resource reduction. Publicly traded since 1967, Semtech is listed on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the symbol SMTC. For more information, visit www.semtech.com.
Semtech, the Semtech logo and LoRa are registered marks of Semtech Corporation.