NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Athletes are used to going head-to-head on game day, but off-the-field face-offs? Well, when we’re talking beards, the competition can get pretty hairy, according to a new survey from Just For Men.
Just For Men, the iconic Men’s Hair Color brand, polled 1,000 Americans across the country to find out who they thought had the best beard in four professional sports categories, as well as the best celebrity facial fuzz. Whether they were heads above the rest, or simply winners by a whisker, these beard-sporting stars prove one thing: From the fans’ vantage point, facial hair stands out.
“Putting the question to consumers of which sport stars and celebrities have the best beards turned up some fun findings,” said Ralph Marburger, North American Category Director for Combe Incorporated’s Just For Men brand. “Similar to team loyalties, Americans can be extremely divided when it comes to choosing their favorite beards, as evidenced from the polling results.”
- Among football players, a clear winner emerged from the field: Jared Allen of the Chicago Bears faced down his scruffy opponents and came out dramatically ahead, with 49% of the vote. Eric Weddle of the San Diego Chargers was a distant second, with 15% of respondents ranking his beard best, and the New York Jets’ Ryan Fitzpatrick followed close behind with 14%.
- When it came to basketball players, the competition got tighter, with LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers netting the top spot with 33% of the vote, edging out Deron Williams of the Dallas Mavericks (27%). The Houston Rockets’ James Harden came in third with 17% of the vote.
- The baseball diamond’s gold standard of facial fuzz was squarely divided between Jose Bautista of the Toronto Blue Jays (27.1%) and Dallas Keuchel of the Houston Astros (27%). Following close behind was Jayson Werth of the Washington Nationals (23%).
- In hockey, Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers iced his bearded rivals, coming away with an impressive 51% of the respondents’ vote. The Dallas Stars’ Johnny Oduya came in a distant second with 15%, and Patrick Maroon of the Anaheim Ducks followed with 13%.
- Hollywood celebrities are also getting their fair share of face time on the beard front, as evidenced by the growing facial-hair trend. When asked which famed beard shined brightest, 33% picked Hollywood heavy-hitter Jake Gyllenhaal, star of the new film “Everest.” Joe Manganiello, of “Magic Mike” and “True Blood” fame, snagged 23% of the vote, followed by rapper Drake (18%), and actors Johnny Depp (18%) and Brad Pitt (7%).
The survey coincides with Just For Men’s #Beardspotting contest, a brand new sport in search of the “Best Beard Ever.” The contest invites people to upload their best beard and mustache photos for a chance to win prizes. Led by New York sports legends and rhyming duo Keith Hernandez and Walt “Clyde” Frazier, the winner will receive an all-expenses-paid weekend trip for two to New York City in November to join the judging panel at the 2015 Just For Men National Beard & Moustache Championships in Brooklyn.
To follow along in the quest to find the best beards in the nation, visit www.Beardspotting.com.
For additional information on Just For Men Mustache and Beard, visit www.JustForMen.com.
About Combe Incorporated
Combe Incorporated is a manufacturer of personal care products, including Just For Men®, Vagisil® intimate health care products, Sea-Bond® oral care products, Brylcreem®, Aqua Velva® and Lectric Shave® men's personal grooming products and Williams® Mug® Soap. Combe, a privately held multinational company founded in 1949, has its global headquarters in White Plains, N.Y.