LAKELAND, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Peak hurricane season is due in August and September. That’s when Hurricanes Andrew, Ike, Charley, Ivan, Hugo, Rita, Frances and Katrina all came calling.
If you live in a coastal area that is prone to heavy winds and flash flooding, it's vitally important that you have a safety plan in place right now. Don’t wait until a storm is headed your way to get prepared.
If you wait until a storm makes landfall in your community, it’s already too late. Now is the time to take precautions. GEICO recommends some important hurricane preparedness tips that you can get started on:
- Stay alert for weather updates – Tune into local and national weather forecasts for the latest weather advisories and reports.
- Create an evacuation plan – Designate a family meeting spot and practice your escape route together. In the event of an emergency, be sure to follow any official instructions from local or national officials.
- Stock up on food and water – Have enough water and non-perishable food to last each family member at least a week. One gallon of water per person, per day is the suggested amount to keep on hand.
- Create a disaster supply kit – Make sure you have important supplies such as blankets, first aid kits, flashlights, batteries, and a battery-powered radio at the beginning of storm season. Don’t forget specialty items for children, the elderly and pets.
- Check your insurance coverage – Did you know most homeowners' policies don’t include flood insurance? Follow up with your insurance carrier to find out if you’re fully protected.
- Update your home inventory – It's good to have a complete list of all the items in your home. Taking inventory will help determine if you have purchased enough insurance and it may also help speed up the claims process if any damage occurs due to the storm.
- Store your important documents in a safe location – Think about investing in a fire-proof, water-resistant, safe box to store your important documents.
Visit GEICO’s Catastrophe Center for more information on how to protect your family this hurricane season. GEICO policyholders who need to report a loss can log onto GEICO's Claims Center or call 1-800-841-3000 24 hours a day.