IRVING, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--NEC Corporation of America (NEC), a leading provider and integrator of advanced IT, communications, managed services and biometric solutions, along with NEC Corporation today announced release of its industry leading facial recognition algorithm¹ that scored top honors in NIST FRVT 2013 testing.² This latest NeoFace product release is available in law enforcement investigative and real time surveillance solutions as well as NeoFace Match, a comprehensive facial recognition integration tool for solutions integrators and qualified customers.
The latest NeoFace release delivers proven and significant performance metrics in a variety of applications, including non-frontal facial images with partial angles, low-resolution images, improved identification in uncontrolled environments, and increased matching rates, especially to very large databases.
A summary of NeoFace’s performance in the latest NIST benchmark includes:
- 28% improvement in accuracy in comparison to NeoFace’s previous release³
- 8 times fewer errors than the next highest performing algorithm *
- NEC's face recognition algorithms were faster than all participating vendors÷
- Reduced the authentication error rate by 2/3 in "one-to-one" face matching tests ±
“Faced with ever-increasing threats, as well as the need for improved customer engagements and loss prevention, public safety agencies (such as law enforcement, border control, immigration) and enterprises around the world are increasingly turning to facial recognition, a highly reliable and accurate identification method,” said Raffie Beroukhim, vice president, NEC Corporation of America’s Biometrics Solutions Division. “With this release NEC remains committed to being the top biometrics solution provider for public safety and commercial applications, and is driven to deliver continued advances in facial recognition to our customers.”
NEC offers a full range of facial recognition solutions built upon its award winning, industry-leading NeoFace face recognition algorithms. In the realm of public safety, NeoFace algorithms are at the heart of NeoFace solutions. Using images and video evidence of varying quality, NeoFace Reveal enables law enforcement to investigate, solve crimes and bring more offenders to justice by accurately searching mug photo databases. For real-time surveillance applications, NeoFace allows for rapid and accurate searching of a known watch list, providing an alert when a face is detected. Border and immigration control, perimeter and office security as well as retail loss prevention are among the extensive use cases of NeoFace applications.
(1) An algorithm is a procedure or formula for solving a problem.
(2) The most recent 2013 test – the NIST Interagency Report (NISTIR 8008) – measured the performance of Face Recognition Algorithms, per (NIST) U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology
(3) As in the 2010, 2011 and 2013 tests, the algorithms from NEC give broadly the lowest error rates on all data sets. This applies across image types, mug shots and webcam, and enrollment types (exec summary-page 4 of NISTIR 8008). FNIR (false negative identification rate) values for NEC are a factor of two or more lower than for the closest competitors.
(*) Page 4 – (NISTIR 8008)
(÷) 2013 test - Requiring approximately 0.2 seconds per image to create and search an image against 1.6 million records. NEC's matching rate is more than 6.2 million matches per second per core. Overall, the NEC algorithms are typically twice as or up to more than 15 times faster than competitors' algorithms
(±) 2013 test- one to one refers to where two face images are evaluated to determine if they are the same person
Results shown from the Face Recognition Vendor Test (FRVT) do not constitute endorsement of any particular system by the U. S. Government.
To learn more about NEC’s biometrics solutions, visit http://www.necam.com/Biometrics/
To learn more about NEC:
NEC information: www.necam.com
Facebook fan page: www.necam.com/facebook
© 2015 NEC Corporation of America. NEC and NeoFace are registered trademarks of NEC Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Other product or service marks mentioned are the trademarks of their respective owners.