MIDLAND, Mich.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Dow Chemical Company (NYSE: DOW) announced today that 21 of its latest innovations have been shortlisted for the green technology, disruptive technology, mechanical devices/materials and process/prototyping categories for R&D Magazine’s prestigious 2015 R&D 100 Awards.
Often referred to as the “Oscars of Innovation” the annual R&D 100 Awards celebrate the most significant technology inventions of the past year. Dow has once again been highlighted as a leading innovator, with the greatest number of nominations of any single developer. A wide range of solutions have been recognized, from more sustainable electronics, to water-efficient appliances, to innovations that improve safety and fuel efficiency in motor vehicles.
“Having 21 products recognized by R&D Magazine is evidence that we have fundamentally transformed the way we innovate,” said A.N. Sreeram, corporate vice president of Dow R&D. “We are working with our customers to rapidly bring innovative products to the market that are high-performing and sustainable by combining High Throughput Research capabilities with the right teams of world-class Dow engineers and scientists. While we appreciate this kind of recognition, we are even more energized by delivering differentiated solutions to our customers that help them bring better solutions to the world.”
Each of the 21 Dow innovations recognized by R&D 100 was commercialized in the last year and developed as a market-focused solution, addressing key customer challenges in a more sustainable way. This year’s nominations include:
- BETAMATE™ structural adhesives for lightweight aluminum enables automotive engineers to design vehicles for maximum weight saving and reduction of fuel consumption and emissions.
- VORAFORCE™ 5300 epoxy system enables an ultrafast cure and makes it possible to mass produce carbon fiber composite parts that help make vehicles lighter and more fuel efficient.
- METHOCEL™ DC2 Premium Excipients, enabled by Dow’s patented Designed Particle Morphology (DPM) Technology, help pharmaceutical companies reduce tablet manufacturing costs by up to 60%, so a wider portion of the world population can benefit from medical treatments.
- IKONICTM Polishing Pads for Chemical Mechanical Planarization (CMP) help customers meet challenging, next-generation requirements for semiconductor devices in the most critical applications.
- MICROFILLTMTHF-100 Electrolytic Copper addresses customers’ needs for High-Density Interconnect (HDI) printed circuit board designs that enable smart devices.
- SOLDERON™ BP TS6000 Tin-Silver helps electronics manufacturers to “take the lead out” of solder used in chip packaging, while doubling productivity and maintaining reliability.
- ACRYSOLTM RM-725 Rheology Modifier offers excellent applied hiding, enhanced surface appearance and better touch-up in a broad range of paint formulations.
- DustPROTM Coated Proppant Sand, enabled by TERSUS™ Technology, a Preferred Sands product developed in collaboration with Dow, minimizes sand/silica dust in the hydraulic fracturing process to improve worker health/safety and reduce environmental impact.
- LIQUIDARMORTM Flashing and Sealant is an innovative liquid flashing alternative to flashing tape that provides commercial buildings advanced moisture and air sealing protection.
- MAINCOTETM AEH Resin contains fewer volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and offers faster return-to-service for commercial flooring, walls and residential garage floor coatings.
- NORKOOL DESITHERMTM HS Fluid is a new salt-tolerant, dehydration solvent that has proved an effective solvent for gas dehydration and for keeping chloride salts in solution and off the surfaces of gas processing equipment.
- PURINZETM UltraFiltration Module enables Eco-washing machines to recycle water, reducing water consumption by 30 percent, while removing 99 percent of common bacteria.
- DIAMANTOTM is a 100% polyethylene film that provides stiffness, transparency and excellent sealing properties, something unheard of in polyethylene films. In Latin America, it is already used for ketchup sachets, premium rice and pet food packages.
- ENDURANCETM C4202 insulation compound using patented advanced tree retardant formulation technology in the construction of new medium voltage power cables enables utilities improved performance, extended cable life and reliability while reducing total life cycle cost.
- HYPERTHERM™ Resins offer exceptional performance, ease of installation and a strong sustainability profile for flexible hot- and cold-water pipe made with polyethylene of raised temperature resistance.
- INTUNE™ Olefin Block Copolymers offer highly effective solutions for combining polyethylene- and polypropylene-based materials to provide the best benefits of each, while minimizing individual trade-off properties – offering enhanced performance at lower systems cost for customers across a multitude of end-markets.
- PacXpert™ Packaging Technology is a flexible, lightweight alternative to rigid packaging, requires less material to manufacture and allows for more efficient shipping.
- Polyethylene (PE) Stand-Up Pouch is packaging for frozen and dried foods that is suitable to be recycled in communities with existing PE film recycling streams and eligible to use the How2Recycle label.
Performance Materials & Chemicals:
- HYPERLAST™ FJ760 PU Field Joint is an innovative, new subsea insulation product that retains the desirable thermal insulation and mechanical performance of legacy catalysts, while keeping our oceans free from mercury pollution.
- PASCALTM Pro Polyurethane Systems improves energy efficiency and production processes for insulation in appliances.
- VORASTAR™ 7000 Spray Elastomer System, based on VORAPEL™ Polyol, provides high-performance coating material with enhanced chemical and moisture resistance.
In 2014, five of Dow’s products were named R&D 100 award winners. This year’s winners will be announced at the annual black-tie awards dinner on November13 at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines the power of science and technology to passionately innovate what is essential to human progress. The Company is driving innovations that extract value from the intersection of chemical, physical and biological sciences to help address many of the world's most challenging problems such as the need for clean water, clean energy generation and conservation, and increasing agricultural productivity. Dow's integrated, market driven, industry-leading portfolio of specialty chemical, advanced materials, agrosciences and plastics businesses delivers a broad range of technology-based products and solutions to customers in approximately 180 countries and in high-growth sectors such as packaging, electronics, water, coatings and agriculture. In 2014, Dow had annual sales of more than $58 billion and employed approximately 53,000 people worldwide. The Company's more than 6,000 product families are manufactured at 201 sites in 35 countries across the globe. References to "Dow" or the "Company" mean The Dow Chemical Company and its consolidated subsidiaries unless otherwise expressly noted. More information about Dow can be found at www.dow.com.
About R&D Magazine
Since its founding in 1959 as Industrial Research, R&D Magazine has served research scientists, engineers and technical staff at laboratories around the world, providing timely, informative news and useful technical articles that broaden readers’ knowledge of the research and development industry and improve the quality of their work. R&D Magazine is a publication of Advantage Business Media (www.advantagebusiness.media.com).
®TM Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company (“Dow”) or an affiliated company of Dow