CHESTER, England--(BUSINESS WIRE)--MBNA, the UK-based consumer credit business, announces that Apple Pay is available for all its customers with compatible Apple Pay devices with immediate effect.
Apple Pay is transforming mobile payments with an easy, secure and private way to pay. MBNA has been working to ensure all its customers can use Apple Pay right from day one.
MBNA was a pioneer of contactless payment technology and its customers were early adopters – today, 100 percent of its cards are contactless payment-enabled. As a result, its customers are already among the biggest users of contactless payments. So, offering Apple Pay to its customers is especially important for the kind of customer profile MBNA enjoys.
Security and privacy are at the core of Apple Pay. When you add a credit or debit card to Apple Pay, the actual card numbers are not stored on the device or Apple servers. Instead, a unique device account number is assigned, encrypted and securely stored in the secure element on your device. Each transaction is authorised with a one-time unique dynamic security code.
Alongside its MBNA-branded cards, Apple Pay is immediately available to the hundreds of thousands of customers holding one of the football, travel and charity branded cards the company provides. This includes cards from organisations like Arsenal FC, Chelsea FC, Liverpool FC, Manchester United FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC, Virgin Atlantic Airways, Emirates, Etihad, Worldwide Fund for Nature and British Heart Foundation.
Ian O’Doherty, CEO of MBNA, said: “At MBNA, our passion is to make our customers’ lives easier. That’s why our team has pulled out all of the stops to ensure all our customers can access Apple Pay right from day one. Not all card providers can say the same.”
Apple Pay is easy to set up and users will continue to receive all of their existing card rewards and benefits. In stores, Apple Pay works with iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch. When paying for goods and services within apps, Apple Pay is compatible with iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3.
Customers with compatible Apple Pay devices whose bank does not currently provide Apple Pay have the option of applying for a credit card with MBNA at www.mbna.co.uk. If approved for a card, they will be able to use Apple Pay once they have received their card.
Notes for editors
Growth of contactless in the UK
• Contactless payments in the UK rocketed to £2.3 billion in 2014, an increase of over 300 percent from 2013.
• Beginning in September 2015, the contactless payment limit will increase from £20 to £30, fuelling further growth – UK Cards Association
MBNA – driving the move to mobile
• MBNA was an early pioneer of contactless payment technology. One hundred percent of its cards today are contactless payment-enabled. MBNA broke new ground with an eligibility checker that doesn’t impact applicants’ credit scores.
• MBNA was early to introduce a PIN-display feature in its online card service.
• uSwitch (http://www.uswitch.com/blog/2015/05/20/2015-uswitch-credit-card-awards/) customers recently voted MBNA the best credit card app on the market.
What you see is what you get
• MBNA provides only unsecured* consumer credit – no more, no less. It won’t try to sell you other products.
• MBNA is entirely based in the UK and primarily serves UK-based customers.
• MBNA has no branches. The majority of its customers apply and service their accounts online.
• MBNA and its employees play a key role in the community, providing grants, volunteering and financial advice.
* Examples of secured credit would be a mortgage or a car loan.
About MBNA Limited
MBNA Limited (http://www.mbna.co.uk/) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Bank of America Corporation (NYSE: BAC). It is one of the UK’s leading credit card providers and was voted Credit Card Provider of the Year for the second year running in the Consumer Moneyfacts Awards 2015. MBNA is committed to implementing innovations to make life easier for our customers. Headquartered in Chester for over 20 years, the company has a long history of investing in the Chester Marathon, Chester FC and the MBNA Chester Music Festival...
This information was brought to you by Cision http://news.cision.com