NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--SheKnows Media, a leading women's media company with more than 80 million unique visitors per month* and 162 million social media fans and followers, announced that it is hosting Hatch Labs at #BlogHer15: Experts Among Us on Friday, July 17 in New York City.
Hatch Labs brings Hatch, the company’s mission-driven digital storytelling and media literacy program for kids, to life for conference goers and their children – offering workshops that empower the next generation to harness their leadership skills, navigate their relationship with technology and create meaningful and inspiring online content.
SheKnows Media launched Hatch in Spring 2014 to give teens and tweens the skills to become accountable digital citizens capable of creating thought-provoking content. The program, which provides adults with video programming and downloadable discussion guides that allow them to start dialogue with kids about important topics and social issues, is the recent recipient of two 2015 Telly Awards for videos that explored Microaggressions and the prevalence of child hunger in the U.S. A new Hatch video on the topic of empathy, which revealed teens’ surprising and unscripted reaction to Caitlyn Jenner’s transformation has nearly 3.1 million YouTube views and was covered in national publications that include US Weekly, TIME and Out.
At #BlogHer15: Experts Among Us, the world’s largest annual celebration of women content creators attracting thousands of social media influencers, content creators, thought leaders and brand executives, Hatch Labs will offer the following interactive workshops for the conference’s youngest attendees:
to School – Learning to Lead:
- Station #1: Personal Brand. You're already creating a footprint in the world, be it online, at school, or at home. Here, you will gain tools for presenting the “you” that you want people to see.
- Station #2: Tech-Savvy. Explore your relationship with technology, and learn how we can all become better digital citizens.
- Station #3: Speaking Up. Learn core leadership skills that can be translated into all aspects of your life.
- Station #4: Finding Your Cause. Making a difference starts with finding your passion. Connect the dots and find ways to support the cause that really gets you fired up.
“Today’s youth are digital natives, armed with the innate ability to create and share content at scale,” said Samantha Skey, SheKnows Media’s Chief Marketing & Revenue Officer. “Hatch gives tweens and teens the skills to create fun, inspiring, thoughtful content. It also teaches them to be accountable digital citizens and to be mindful of their online footprint. We are excited to expand this unique program to the many parents who want their kids to have an experience that is as meaningful and educational as their own at #BlogHer15: Experts Among Us.”
Hatch Labs is a nod to one of #BlogHer15: Experts Among Us’ core themes: Next Generation. In addition to the programming track for kids and a keynote featuring Girl Scouts of the USA’s CEO Anna Maria Chávez, Soledad O’Brien, Founder and CEO of the Starfish Foundation and Samantha Skey on Hatch, the conference offers the following sessions for adults focused squarely on Gen STEM:
- Next Generation: Breaking Stereotypes and Building Self-Esteem: #SpeakBeautiful #BeAMan #BossyIs #HeForShe. #HatchKids have explored the meaning behind lots of hashtags…and how the media shapes their perspectives on themselves and those around them. This session, sponsored by Dove, looks at how we can flip the script and not only help kids insulate themselves from negative messages and stereotypes, but help them drive changing those tired scripts.
- Next Generation: Raising Great Digital Citizens: Media Literacy and Online Boundaries: Everything online is a two way street. Being a great digital citizen means knowing how to set appropriate online boundaries…and respect other people’s. Being a great digital citizen means being careful about being able to trust what you read…and what you share. And it starts now.
- Next Generation: Gaming: It's a Good Thing: If your kids are mesmerized by Minecraft or completely sucked in by Skylanders, you may be worried about all the time and attention they're devoting to "just a game," but this session will explore the positive aspects of gaming for kids—including the educational value to be found in non-educational games. We'll help you understand your child's devotion to gaming, and perhaps even help you help them make the most out of gaming time.
- Next Generation: Understanding FOMO, Like-Anxiety, and the Like-Cycle: You're not the only one worried about Fear of Missing Out (FOMO) or information overload, or keeping up with the digital Joneses. Imagine all your concern in the context of being a kid who's also worrying about popularity and what's hot in an incredibly fast-changing environment. We'll talk about what this does to your brain, and way to manage all those feelings.
* comScore, Media Metrix, Multiplatform Key Measures Report, May 2015, U.S.
About SheKnows Media
SheKnows Media is the number-one women’s lifestyle digital media company with more than 80 million unique visitors per month (comScore, Media Metrix, Multiplatform Key Measures Report, May 2015, U.S.) and nearly 188 million social media fans and followers. The company operates a family of leading media properties that include SheKnows.com, BlogHer.com, StyleCaster.com, DailyMakeover.com and DrinksMixer.com. With a mission of women inspiring women, SheKnows Media is revolutionizing the publishing industry by forging a new kind of model that seamlessly integrates users, editors and content creators onto a single platform designed to empower all women to discover, share and create. Whether it’s parenting or pop culture, fashion or food, DIY or décor, our award-winning editorial team, Experts, bloggers and social media influencers produce authentic and on-trend content every day. We dig deep to learn what makes our audience tick, revealing unexpected insights on women and digital media. Our robust, end-to-end suite of premium branded content and influencer marketing solutions generate more than 2 billion ad impressions per month (sources: DFP and OAS), allowing brands to distribute authentic content and integrated advertising at scale.
SheKnows Media is based in New York and Scottsdale, Ariz., with offices in Los Angeles, Chicago and Belmont, Calif. We also operate internationally in Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom.