FRAMINGHAM, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--A new online survey of parents of children ages 8-18, commissioned by Staples and conducted by Harris Poll, finds that price is the top consideration for 86% of these parents when buying school supplies. But shoppers are also looking for a mix of both fun and function and would purchase products designed by students for students when back-to-school shopping.
“We’ve seen many new back-to-school shopping trends over the past 30 years, but we know savings has always been top-of-mind for our customers,” said Alison Corcoran, senior vice president, North American stores and online, Staples. “We’re thrilled to offer customers ways to save all season long with our Back to School 110% Lowest Price Guarantee, Staples Less List of essential products and Extreme Deals. We’re also offering exciting product trends, including new products designed by students for students.”
The Staples 2015 Back-to-School Parents Survey revealed the following:
- 82% always look for deals and coupons before leaving the house to go shopping
- 81% agree they would purchase products for their child that other students designed
- 53% say the best time to purchase school supplies is one month before school starts
- 81% agree that they get their child all of their school supplies by the first day of school because it is most important that their child feels organized and prepared to succeed right from the start
- 78% buy their school supplies only or mostly in-stores
- 62% shop for a mix of fun and function
- 61% of parents of children 8-18 say children request new backpacks
Exclusive Staples’ Designed by Students
The overwhelming majority (81%) of these parents say they would purchase products designed by students when back to school shopping. Staples has worked with teams of middle school students on the Designed by Students initiative.
The exclusive Designed by Students school supplies are available in select stores nationwide and at Staples.com/designedbystudents. The products range from multi-function pencil cases, backpacks with removable compartments, multi-purpose folders and portable desks to floating locker shelves and a dishwasher safe lunch bag.
Backpacks Available in Stores and Online at Staples.com
The majority of parents say children request new backpacks, and Staples carries one of the broadest selections of backpacks combining technology, fashion and fun – all at a 25% discount for the back-to-school season:
- M Edge Power Backpack that combines a battery interface on the exterior of the backpack for mobile phone and tablet charging and use on-the-go
- Jansport functional backpacks in trendy patterns including donuts, hamburgers or space kittens to name a few
- Studio C backpacks combine the latest fashion trends and patterns with removable purse and available notebooks, paper and accessories to coordinate
- Exclusive to Staples, Paperchase backpacks feature large white dots with a trendy mint background that coordinate with available matching lunch bag and supplies
- Available both in stores and online at www.staples.com/backtoschool
Staples 110% Ready for Back to School
The survey reveals that 78% of parents of children 8-18 do much of their shopping in stores. Staples is 110% ready and in stock all season long so parents, students and teachers can always find what they need with a great selection.
Staples make savings easy with their Back to School 110% Lowest Price Guarantee that gives shoppers the lowest prices on their back-to-school shopping. The Staples Less List offers the lowest prices on key back-to-school essential products all season long.
In addition, throughout the summer Staples will offer Extreme Deals in its weekly circular and online at www.staples.com/weeklyad.
For media information, please visit www.staples.com/btspr.
Staples makes it easy to make more happen with more products and more ways to shop. Through its world-class retail, online and delivery capabilities, Staples lets customers shop however and whenever they want, whether it’s in-store, online or on mobile devices. Staples offers more products than ever, such as technology, facilities and breakroom supplies, furniture, safety supplies, medical supplies, and Copy and Print services. Staples also offers free shipping for Staples Rewards Members, in most cases overnight. Headquartered outside of Boston, Staples operates throughout North and South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. More information about Staples (SPLS) is available at www.staples.com.
About the survey
This survey was conducted online within the United States between April 28 and May 8, 2015 among 1,006 parents of a child aged 8-18 by Harris Poll on behalf of Staples. Figures for age, sex, race/ethnicity, education, region and household income were weighted where necessary to bring them into line with their actual proportions in the population. Propensity score weighting was used to adjust for respondents’ propensity to be online. For more information about the survey or for full weighting details, please contact Jackie Guzman at 561-998-1995.