PHILADELPHIA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--As part of National Safety Month and the company’s ongoing efforts to ensure safety around electric and natural gas facilities, PECO reminds contractors and DIYers to be aware of their surroundings when planning projects near electric or natural gas equipment.
Contacting an overhead or underground electric line or underground natural gas line can cause serious injury, damage and service interruptions. It is essential for anyone who is working near this equipment to take the necessary preparations before beginning their work.
Follow these tips:
- Before digging for any project, call 811 to arrange for any utility lines to be marked.
- Contact PECO at 1-800-454-4100 if you are planning any work or activity that may bring yourself, your equipment, and anything you carry within 10 feet of a power line.
- Keep ladders and other tools at least 10 feet from overhead power lines.
- Do not climb or trim trees near power lines.
- Keep electric tools and appliances away from wet surfaces, including pools and patios.
- Never approach a downed power line. Always assume a power line is energized and extremely dangerous.
- If you encounter a downed power line, immediately call PECO at 1-800-841-4141.
PECO crews also work year-round to ensure safe and reliable service for customers. Much of this work is completed in area roadways, where lane restrictions provide a temporary work zone for employees. To ensure safety, it’s important to reduce speeds and be aware when driving through active work zones.
“The safety of our customers, our employees and the communities we serve is our top priority,” said Mike Innocenzo, PECO senior vice president and chief operating officer.
As part of this effort, PECO has a public safety advertising campaign to educate those who work around aerial and underground power lines, hosts numerous safety education events, and provides information to customers and contractors each year in bill inserts and informational mailings.
For more safety information, visit peco.com/safety
Based in Philadelphia, PECO is an electric and natural gas utility subsidiary of Exelon Corporation (NYSE: EXC). PECO serves 1.6 million electric and more than 506,000 natural gas customers in southeastern Pennsylvania and employs about 2,400 people in the region. PECO delivered 89.9 billion cubic feet of natural gas and 37.5 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity in 2014. Founded in 1881, PECO is one of the Greater Philadelphia Region's most active corporate citizens, providing leadership, volunteer and financial support to numerous arts and culture, education, environmental, economic development and community programs and organizations. For more information visit peco.com, and connect with the company on Facebook and Twitter.
If you are a member of the media and would like to receive PECO news releases via e-mail please send your e-mail address to PECO.Communication@exeloncorp.com