MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Piper Jaffray Companies (NYSE: PJC) today announced a major expansion of its investment banking team with the addition of a financial institutions group (FIG) dedicated to depository, diversified financials, financial technology and insurance clients. The firm also added FIG capital markets coverage. This announcement follows Piper Jaffray’s recent FIG additions in equity research and sales & trading.
“The FIG senior banking and capital markets team is in place and we are now a formidable force in the financial institutions arena,” said Andrew Duff, Piper Jaffray Companies chairman and chief executive officer. “We’ve enlisted the highest-caliber talent across our core businesses and look forward to leveraging this full-service expertise for our clients.”
Bob Hutchinson will lead the financial institutions investment banking team, which includes managing directors Michael Barry, Pete Majar and Jim Murray. Daryle DiLascia will oversee FIG capital markets. The bankers were most recently employed at Sterne Agee. DiLascia, Barry, Majar and Murray will be located in New York, with Hutchinson based in the firm’s Boston office.
- Bob Hutchinson: Prior to Sterne Agee, Hutchinson was a managing director at Keefe, Bruyette &Woods. From 2009 to 2015, he served in a number of leadership capacities at Sterne Agee, including head of the depository institutions group and head of the northeast region. Hutchinson also served four years as an officer in the United States Marine Corps. He holds a bachelor’s degree from Boston College and a Master of Business Administration degree from The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business.
- Daryle DiLascia: DiLascia served as an executive managing director and head of investment banking at Sterne Agee, where he worked from 2012-2015. Prior to that, he spent 17 years with Keefe, Bruyette & Woods, Inc., where he was an executive vice president and co-head of equities. DiLascia holds a bachelor’s degree from Syracuse University and a Master of Business Administration degree from Boston College.
- Michael Barry: Barry served as a senior managing director and head of depository M&A at Sterne Agee and was previously head of financial institutions M&A at Stifel Financial Corp. Prior to that, he was head of Merrill Lynch’s depository institutions group and head of depository M&A at Banc of America. Barry holds a bachelor’s degree summa cum laude from Princeton University and a Master of Business Administration degree with distinction from the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School.
- Pete Majar: Majar was a managing director at Sterne Agee focused on the diversified financial services space and prior to that, a managing member of Majar Advisors LLC which was developing Orcus Spread Networks, a concept for an institutional buy-side focused trading system that incorporated HFT technology and techniques. Prior, Majar was a senior partner and managing director at Freeman & Co. He holds a bachelor’s degree from the University of Washington and a Master of Business Administration degree from Columbia University.
- Jim Murray: Murray was a managing director at Sterne Agee focused on finance companies and asset managers, and prior to that, a managing director at Freeman & Co. He previously served as head of the financial institutions group at Houlihan Lokey and the head of North American corporate finance at Fox-Pitt, Kelton. Murray holds a bachelor’s degree from DePaul University and a Master of Business Administration degree from UCLA.
“We are excited to expand our investment banking group with this veteran team. With financial institutions being an important economic sector, it is a core focus for the firm as we continue to explore ways of better serving our clients,” said Chad Abraham, global co-head of Piper Jaffray investment banking and capital markets.
“It is a privilege to lead the financial institutions banking efforts for an industry leader like Piper Jaffray at a time when it is broadening its sector expertise across multiple platforms,” said Bob Hutchinson, head of financial institutions investment banking.
“Piper Jaffray has longstanding leadership in capital markets across several key industries,” added Daryle DiLascia, head of FIG capital markets. “Our intention is to leverage this success to create more wins for clients and the firm.”
About Piper Jaffray
Piper Jaffray Companies (NYSE: PJC) is an investment bank and asset management firm headquartered in Minneapolis with offices across the U.S. and in London, Hong Kong* and Zurich. Securities brokerage and investment banking services are offered in the United States through Piper Jaffray & Co., member NYSE and SIPC, and in Europe through Piper Jaffray Ltd., authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Asset management products and services are offered through three separate investment advisory affiliates registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission: Advisory Research Inc., Piper Jaffray Investment Management LLC and PJC Capital Partners LLC.
* License pending
© 2015 Piper Jaffray Companies, 800 Nicollet Mall, Suite 1000, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55402-7036