PHILADELPHIA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Comcast today announced that it will expand its Xfinity Home business by integrating new partner devices from August, Automatic, Cuff, Leeo, Lutron, Rachio, SkyBell and Whistle starting this summer, giving customers a single experience that connects and manages their home security and automation needs. Later this year, Comcast will release a Software Development Kit (SDK) and a certification program that will make it easier for partners to work with Xfinity Home and provide customers more options to further personalize their smart homes.
About 16 percent of U.S. homes own at least one smart home device and that number will increase to 50 percent by 2020. However, consumers remain challenged to find one platform that ties these devices together into one experience. Comcast customers will soon be able to manage each new partner device through the Xfinity Home touchscreen or mobile app, the Xfinity Remote with voice control and the X1 Entertainment Operating System, giving users a unique and diverse range of control options.
“We want to help people unlock the potential of their smart home,” said Dan Herscovici, SVP and General Manager, Xfinity Home. “Whether it’s through the television, an app or a voice command, we’re giving customers one easy-to-use experience to control all their favorite devices, seamlessly on the same platform. We’re proud to work with some of the most innovative technology companies in this space and look forward to adding even more devices and functionality to Xfinity Home in the future.”
Xfinity Home customers will soon be able to add the following devices to their home automation system: August Smart Locks; Automatic car adapters; Cuff smart jewelry; Leeo Smart Alert Nightlight; Lutron Caséta® Wireless dimmers, remote controls, and battery powered shades; Rachio smart sprinkler controllers; SkyBell video doorbells and; the Whistle pet monitor.
During 2015, Comcast will release an SDK that will make it even easier for more entrepreneurs and device makers to integrate their products with the Xfinity Home platform and also will launch a “Works with Xfinity Home” certification program that will ensure each device is compatible. Comcast has established a website and email address – email@example.com – for prospective partners to get more information.
Comcast’s Xfinity Home mobile apps will control each of the new partner devices as well as Comcast’s fully monitored Home Security Service that includes a certified emergency central station monitoring system that is staffed 24 hours a day. The Home Security Service also includes battery back-up in the event of a power failure and cellular back-up in the event of a network interruption.
Separately, Comcast is developing an integration with Nest® Labs through the Works with Nest program.
Here’s what Comcast’s new partners are saying about today’s announcement:
- August Smart Lock CEO and Co-Founder Jason Johnson: “At August, our mission is to deliver a home access experience that makes life simpler and more secure, starting with our Smart Lock. The smart home has become a reality and it’s now a matter of providing users with integrated options that will make their experience completely seamless. Comcast is at the forefront of innovation and August is honored to be a part of a program that will open up even more possibilities, driving this technology further mainstream.”
- Automatic car adapter CEO and Co-Founder Thejo Kote: "We believe the car should be a vital part of the connected home. That’s why we're so excited to help make that a reality for Comcast customers who upgrade their cars with Automatic."
- Cuff smart jewelry CEO, Founder & Designer Deepa Sood: "We are so excited to be a part of this initiative and make our smart jewelry even smarter by enabling it to interact with the vast ecosystem of Xfinity Home products."
- Leeo Smart Alert Nightlight CEO and Co-Founder Adam Gettings: "The goal of Leeo is to open up communications between people and their homes with beautifully designed, easy-to-use devices. Our Smart Alert Nightlight is our first step in making that vision a reality and we're excited to take the next step by expanding our offering to Xfinity Home customers and providing them even more options for smart, simple and accessible home automation."
- Lutron Electronics Director of New Business Alliances Mark Jenner: “Backed by Lutron’s trusted reliability, Caséta Wireless gives homeowners the opportunity to transform their homes quickly, easily and affordably as part of Xfinity Home. With Caséta, turn on lights when arriving home to feel secure and never enter a dark home again, lower the lights and shades when watching a favorite movie, and save energy – all as part of the singular Xfinity experience.”
- Rachio sprinkler controller Director of Business Development Ric Miles: “Homeowners should be able to manage their water consumption as easily as they control their television. Xfinity Home’s platform enables this new reality and has the potential to impact water conservation on a grand scale.”
- SkyBell doorbell Co-Founder Andrew Thomas: “By connecting the best smart home devices in a single, cohesive user experience, Xfinity Home will empower SkyBell to be smarter and more responsive. This will provide Comcast subscribers with new levels of security and control at their front door.”
- Whistle pet monitor CEO and Co-Founder Ben Jacobs: “At Whistle we’re focused on using technology to help individuals take better care of their pets by creating smart products that fit into daily life. Working with Xfinity Home we can provide a central information hub for the more than 60 percent of U.S. households with pets by serving up helpful information to the right screens, at the right time. The connected home presents one more way of removing the guesswork and worry that was once associated with caring for a pet.”
About Comcast Corporation:
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) is a global media and technology company with two primary businesses, Comcast Cable and NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is the nation's largest video, high-speed Internet and phone provider to residential customers under the XFINITY brand and also provides these services to businesses. NBCUniversal operates news, entertainment and sports cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, television production operations, television station groups, Universal Pictures and Universal Parks and Resorts. Visit www.comcastcorporation.com for more information.