CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today at Microsoft Ignite, Dell announced a series of solutions designed to help customers effectively access Windows applications, easily access and manage virtual desktops, manage social networks and improve productivity. The Dell Appliance for Wyse – vWorkspace desktop virtualization appliance and Migration Manager for Enterprise Social stem from Dell and Microsoft’s long-standing relationship and are being showcased alongside several other innovative Dell offerings in Dell booth #123 at Microsoft Ignite.
Easy and Manageable Desktop Virtualization Enhances Security and Control for Small & Medium Organizations
The Dell Appliance for Wyse – vWorkspace enables small and mid-sized organizations to gain the benefits of desktop virtualization and Windows application delivery to a variety of endpoints, including Wyse thin clients and Chrome OS devices. The solution leverages Dell Wyse vWorkspace desktop virtualization software that is designed to provide organizations of all sizes with a cost-effective VDI solution that can be managed without specialized staff or consultants. Wyse vWorkspace enables access to Windows desktops and applications such as Excel and PowerPoint from nearly any HTML5 browser-capable device, without the need for any client software installation on the endpoint.
The Dell Appliance for Wyse – vWorkspace is the only appliance available today that enables smaller organizations to self-deploy their virtual desktop environment with a set of Dell-developed wizards, which reduce the number of tasks to configure and install desktop virtualization by more than 90 percent compared to manual deployment. Benefits and features of the solution include:
- Easy to plan and deploy: The pre-configured appliance makes purchasing easy with fast and easy deployment. All VDI software is pre-installed; deployment simply consists of installing the unit, connecting to power and network connections, and powering on.
- Easy to manage: Wyse vWorkspace can be managed by IT generalists with end-user administration skills and experience with Microsoft environments, minimizing IT operating costs and complexities.
- Power and reliability: Built on Dell’s best-selling PowerEdge R730 or T630 13G servers with optimal reliability and performance and backed by Dell ProSupport services.
- Access to Windows applications: End users can access Windows applications natively, including Microsoft Office products, with an HTML5 browser-capable device such as a Chromebook.
- End-to-end solutions: Compatible with a variety of Dell endpoints, including Wyse thin clients and Dell Chromebooks.
- Value designed for small business and education: One appliance can deliver Windows applications to up to 350 devices starting at $180 per user for the server hardware and licenses, hypervisor and vWorkspace broker.
Desktop Virtualization Solutions Reduce IT Complexity for School Districts
Dell has successfully deployed the durable and affordable Dell Chromebook 11 to school districts since January 2014, maximizing IT investment for the districts while providing a collaborative, personalized learning experience for students. With the Dell Appliance for Wyse – vWorkspace, school districts can now centralize and manage their IT infrastructure through desktop virtualization, and easily deploy and manage a fleet of Chromebooks across the district, reducing time, expense and complexity. With the combined flexibility of vWorkspace, collaborative Windows applications such as Microsoft Office, and an intuitive Chrome OS end point, students, instructors, and administrators can experience a more dynamic learning environment that can now include access to thousands of Windows apps, while the management burdens for IT administrators is sharply reduced.
Dell Software Simplifies and Accelerates Enterprise Social Migration
Dell is one of the first to market with an enterprise social migration solution, Migration Manager for Enterprise Social (MMES), which supports customers managing content in multiple enterprise social platforms across their organizations. The first release of Dell’s new MMES supports the migration of content between Yammer and Jive and the company is committed to product innovation that addresses customer pain-points, improves business productivity and ROI, and provides flexibility and choice when it comes to enterprise social migrations.
Dell’s most powerful server accelerates Microsoft workloads; built for performance, scalability, reliability and manageability
Dell recently announced the PowerEdge R930, its most powerful server specifically designed for the most demanding enterprise applications including Microsoft Dynamics, SQL Server 2014 and Microsoft Skype for Business (formerly Microsoft Lync). Enabling customers to maximize application performance, the PowerEdge R930 runs SQL Server 2014 four times faster than previous generations(1).
The PowerEdge R930 features up to 72 processing cores of Intel® Xeon® E7-8800/4800 v3 family of processors, 6TB of memory in 96 DIMMs, 24 internal hard drives and support for up to eight high performance PowerEdge Express Flash NVMe PCIe SSDs to help customers maximize application performance and flexibly scale workloads. With Dell’s recently updated OpenManage systems management portfolio and built-in reliability, availability and serviceability (RAS) features, organizations can also reduce deployment time by 99 percent(2) and protect mission-critical and data-intensive applications.
Steve Lalla, VP, Commercial Client Software and Solutions, Dell
“Organizations today need to increase productivity while simplifying the management and delivery of applications and data. The Dell solutions announced today provide the benefits you expect from a sophisticated data center in an easy-to-deploy and manage appliance. This will allow our customers to increase the speed at which they deliver applications and desktops to a wide range of endpoints including thin clients and Chromebooks.”
Garth Fort, General Manager of Enterprise Partner, Microsoft
“Organizations today are looking for solutions that provide greater flexibility and access to Microsoft applications across a range of devices. Dell is collaborating closely with Microsoft to bring the benefits of desktop virtualization and management to organizations of all sizes in a variety of industries to help make the most of their Microsoft infrastructure.”
Pricing and Availability
- Dell Appliance for Wyse – vWorkspace will be available from Dell and through Dell PartnerDirect Partners in the United States and around the world starting Summer 2015. The price for the appliance starts at $180 per user for the server hardware and licenses, hypervisor and vWorkspace broker.
- Migration Manager for Enterprise Social is available today.
- The Dell PowerEdge R930 server will be available in June 2015.
Dell Inc. listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that give them the power to do more. For more information, visit www.dell.com.
(1) Based on preliminary results from "Dell PowerEdge R930 SQL In-Memory Study," a study by Principled Technologies, April 2015 commissioned by Dell, using transactions per minute as the metric for performance, both running a TPC-C like workload on 4VM's. Compares an R930 with SQL 2014 using the In-memory feature to a similarly configured R910 with SQL 2008.
(2) Based on September 2014 Principled Technologies report commissioned by Dell, “Simplifying systems management with Dell OpenManage on 13G Dell PowerEdge servers.”
Dell, PowerEdge and Wyse are trademarks of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.