RENTON, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Parallels®, a global leader in cross-platform solutions (parallels.com/about), announced today the release of the first RDP client for Raspberry Pi, giving organizations the ability to transform the low-cost device into a complete workstation. For the first time since Raspberry Pi’s launch in 2012, users can use any application remotely and use full remote desktops published by Parallels® 2X Remote Application Server (RAS). Parallels will exhibit at the Microsoft Ignite conference in Chicago, IL, May 4-8 and demo Parallels 2X RAS working with Raspberry Pi as a low-cost way for IT managers to increase employee efficiency with cross-platform application delivery. (Note: 2X Software was acquired by Parallels in February.)
Parallels 2X RAS (parallels.com/ras) enables the delivery of applications to any device, including Chromebook™ notebook computers, Windows® PCs, Mac® computers, Linux workstations, Android™ and iOS devices, the Windows Phone®, HTML5 browsers, and now, Raspberry Pi. Over the last few years, Raspberry Pi has become a leading cost-effective computing device. Now, Parallels 2X RAS offers support for Raspberry Pi, empowering businesses across various industries, from manufacturing to healthcare to education, to take advantage of low-cost clients, virtual desktops, and applications.
“The Parallels 2X team adapted its well-known client for Linux to maximize performance and user experience for Raspberry Pi,” said Parallels 2X marketing director Giorgio Bonuccelli. “With more than five million units shipped since its 2012 launch, Raspberry Pi is the new kid on the IT block, but the use of this small and revolutionary device has been limited to Linux and web applications so far. Parallels 2X RAS offers the unique opportunity to deliver corporate Windows applications and remote desktops on this low-cost, credit-card-sized computer. The Parallels 2X RAS Client transforms Raspberry Pi into a fully operational workstation, allowing any organization to integrate it into its environment.”
Features of Parallels 2X RAS include the following:
- Easy to use and implement and can be up and running in minutes.
- Auto-configured features like printing redirection are standard. (Printing redirection enables users to print directly from any device without the administrator having to install drivers on the server.)
- Server load balancing distributes workload to servers based on available resources, improving performance and reliability.
- Windows client management allows IT administrators to take control of Windows devices, set passwords, and shadow PCs to provide remote assistance.
- Reporting allows an administrator to generate reports that monitor RDP and server activity, such as license usage, server activity, and more.
- Gateway load balancing guarantees constant access to virtual resources by distributing connections between two or more gateways. This feature (high-availability load balancing) takes workload and gateway availability into consideration, adding a layer of redundancy which ensures that the end user never experiences any hiccups while using the system.
About Parallels 2X RAS
Parallels 2X RAS is a leading solution for delivering applications and virtual desktops to any device and OS. It was recently honored at the 2015 Govies Government Security Awards as the Best Hosted Solution. In recent months, Parallels 2X RAS also won a TMC InfoTech Spotlight Data Center Excellence Award, The Best of TechEd North America 2014 Award, and was selected in CRN’s Virtualization 50 for 2014. Visit parallels.com/ras for more information and to download a free trial.
Parallels is a global leader in cross-platform solutions which make it possible and simple for customers to use and access the applications and files they need on any device or operating system. We help customers take advantage of the best technology out there, whether it’s Windows®, Mac®, iOS, Android™, or the cloud. Parallels solves complex engineering and user experience problems by making it simple and cost-effective for businesses and individual customers to use applications wherever they may be — local, remote, in the private datacenter, or in the cloud. Parallels began operations in 2000 and is a fast-growing company with offices in North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Visit parallels.com/about for more information.
Parallels and the Parallels logo are registered trademarks of Parallels IP Holdings GmbH in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.