SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Rapid7, a leading provider of security data and analytics software and services, announced today at the RSA Conference 2015 that its intruder analytics solution, Rapid7 UserInsight, now integrates with Microsoft Office 365. Rapid7’s UserInsight solution enables incident response professionals to detect and investigate incidents from endpoint to cloud, providing security and transparency for cloud services, such as Office 365. Microsoft launched the new Office 365 Management Activity API today during its RSA Conference keynote. Rapid7 is one of the first companies to integrate with the API as part of the new Office 365 Management Activity API Pre-Release Program.
UserInsight monitors endpoints, networks, cloud services, and mobile devices, setting traps for intruders, detecting attacks automatically, and enabling faster investigation to mitigate the risks posed by compromised accounts. Integration with the new Office 365 Management Activity API allows Rapid7 to build solutions that provide Office 365 customers with a view of actions taken on their content in Office 365, and add to its comprehensive view of network and user behavior, giving organizations the ability to detect attacks across network, cloud, and mobile environments.
"Research shows that the use of stolen credentials is the most common threat action. What’s most concerning is that intrusions often go undetected for more than six months. Organizations need to understand user behavior across multiple environments in order to discover and investigate security incidents quickly,” said Lee Weiner, senior vice president of products and engineering at Rapid7. “Microsoft is taking a big step forward by arming its customers with the tools they need to protect their environments and detect malicious behavior as ecosystems expand to the cloud.”
"Modern enterprises want their employees to access software and services wherever they work, increasing productivity and collaboration with colleagues, but are cautious about increasing risk. Most importantly, our customers need a secure environment across network, mobile, and cloud services,” said Nagesh Pabbisetty, partner group program manager, Office 365 Information Protection, at Microsoft. “Through this integration, Rapid7 can extend the scope of its UserInsight incident detection and investigation solution to include Office 365, benefiting our customers.”
UserInsight builds a baseline understanding of a user’s behavior in order to identify changes that would indicate suspicious activity and help security professionals detect an attack. UserInsight collects, correlates, and analyzes data across all users and assets, including cloud applications, such that it can identify suspicious behavior. Examples of potential threats that can be detected within Office 365 include:
- Advanced attacks: UserInsight automatically correlates user activity across network, cloud, and mobile environments. UserInsight can detect advanced attacks such as lateral movement from the endpoint to the cloud, including Office365
- Privileged user monitoring: Privileged users are often the ultimate target for intruders. UserInsight monitors Office 365 administrator accounts and alerts the security team of suspicious activity
- Geographically impossible access: A key to protecting the environment is to be able to unify the network, mobile, and cloud environments. For example, a customer would receive an alert if an employee’s cell phone synchronizes email via Office 365 from Brazil within an hour of the same user connecting to the corporate VPN from Paris – clearly one of the connections cannot be legitimate
- Account use after termination: UserInsight detects when a suspended or terminated employee accesses their Office 365 account, helping to stop stolen intellectual property and other business-critical information
- Access to Office 365 from an anonymization service: UserInsight correlates a constantly-updated list of proxy sites and TOR nodes with an organization’s Office 365 activity, detecting attackers that are trying to mask their identity and location
Once suspicious behavior is detected, security teams and incident responders can investigate the users and assets involved in context of various activity from the endpoint to the cloud, now including Microsoft Office 365 activity, and determine the magnitude and impact of the attack. With UserInsight’s visual investigation capabilities, customers can combine asset and user data on a timeline to rapidly investigate and contain the incident.
The integration is available immediately and will be showcased at the RSA Conference, taking place from April 20 – 24, 2015 in San Francisco. Visit Rapid7’s booth, located at North Expo #N3335, to learn more.
About Rapid7 UserInsight
Rapid7 UserInsight allows you to detect and investigate security incidents faster. It identifies intruders that use stealthy attack methods, such as stolen credentials and lateral movement. UserInsight provides visibility into intruder behavior across your entire ecosystem, from the endpoint to the cloud. It reduces alert fatigue, puts context around activity in your ecosystem, makes investigations easier such that even junior team members can participate and helps speed up incident response time. For more information, visit www.rapid7.com/userinsight.
Rapid7’s security data and analytics software and services help organizations reduce the risk of a breach, detect and investigate attacks, and build effective IT security programs. With comprehensive real-time data collection, advanced correlation, and insight into attacker techniques, Rapid7 strengthens an organization’s ability to defend against everything from opportunistic drive-by attacks to advanced threats. Unlike traditional vulnerability management and incident detection technologies, Rapid7 provides visibility, monitoring, and insight across assets and users from the endpoint to the cloud. Dedicated to solving the toughest security challenges, Rapid7 offers proprietary capabilities to spot intruders leveraging today’s #1 attack vector: compromised credentials. Rapid7 is trusted by more than 3,700 organizations across 90 countries, including 30% of the Fortune 1000.