BURLINGTON, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Signiant, the market leader in intelligent file movement software, and Modern VideoFilm, one of L.A.’s top independent post production facilities, today provided new insight into the worldwide file-based workflows that underpin the creation of award-winning feature films and hit television shows. Post production companies of all sizes rely on Signiant’s file transfer software to move their large digital assets quickly and securely between teams distributed around the world, and Modern’s latest work takes the scale and reach of distributed finishing to new levels.
Signiant’s accelerated file movement technology has been an integral part of Modern’s file-based workflows for hundreds of projects over the last eight years. Most recently, Signiant technology played a critical role in Modern’s involvement in such high-profile projects as the Academy Award-winning film “The Grand Budapest Hotel” and “DIG,” the new ten-part television event on USA Network.
“Our business is global, with creative professionals located in every corner of the world,” said Mark Smirnoff, President, Creative Services, Modern VideoFilm. “We have relied on Signiant for several years to manage efficient content exchange between locations, and our reliance on the technology continues to grow. Whether for television or film, today’s post production projects involve ever-increasing amounts of data, complex workflows, and the tight timelines that have always defined our industry.”
- “The Grand Budapest Hotel”: Modern provided a range of finishing services for the Fox Searchlight Pictures film, including scanning, color grading, editorial conforming and visual effects. With the help of Signiant, Modern was able to manage a highly-distributed workflow, including post production work spanning seven months and two continents. The movie was shot in locations across Europe, and involved a long-distance workflow with the editorial team based in Burbank, CA and Kent, England, the color grading team split between Burbank and London, and the director, Wes Anderson, located in Paris. Modern also collaborated with a visual effects partner in Germany. Via Signiant software, Modern’s Burbank team could receive dailies in a matter of hours. They collaborated with Anderson on edits and then, again with the help of Signiant technology, sent files as large as 3 TB for review in London by the next morning. A total of about 10 TB was transferred between Burbank and London.
- “DIG”: During the course of the first season of Universal Cable Productions’ event series “DIG,” which was shot over 103 days, Modern VideoFilm processed 400 hours of footage, totaling over 51 TB of data. They also produced more than 33 TB of promotional content and approximately 6 TB of editorial deliverables. Moving all of these files between locations was made possible with the help of Signiant. With filming in Israel, Croatia, and Albuquerque, NM, footage often had to be sent from hotel rooms using 50 MB and 200 MB lines – and had to arrive in to Burbank within a few hours for processing prior to being sent on to the editorial team in Hollywood.
“Film and television projects today span multiple countries and continents, but the central hub is often here in Los Angeles,” said Gregory Eansor, VP, Western U.S. at Signiant. “Signiant’s business in the local post production community is growing by leaps and bounds, and the success of Modern’s recent innovative projects points to the power of our technology to facilitate distributed workflows.”
Signiant’s Emmy Award winning technology enables customers like Modern to automate fast file movement between geographically-dispersed locations, and provides the following benefits:
- Acceleration – Signiant’s acceleration makes it possible to deliver content much faster over long distances.
- Enterprise-class Security – Robust encryption and secure design principles ensure the safety of valuable footage.
- Scale-out Management – With central control, scheduling and tracking of file transfers, and flexible workflow tools, Signiant can support even the largest, most complex global productions.
To learn more about Signiant’s technology and its work with Modern VideoFilm, visit Signiant at NAB at Booth #SL10716.
About Modern VideoFilm
Modern VideoFilm has been providing post production and distribution services to the film, television and media content industries for more than 33 years. Its clients include all of the major movie and television studios, as well as leading on-demand streaming services, online digital media retailers, ecommerce sites, interactive entertainment companies, and other commercial entities across the United States and around the world. The company’s staff comprises more than 500 dedicated and talented artists, technicians, engineers, producers, client representatives and support personnel. Modern VideoFilm’s Creative Services division offers complete, end-to-end resources for the production of original motion picture, television and media content. Its Content Management division provides comprehensive solutions for the management, repurposing, distribution and archiving of entertainment content.
Signiant’s intelligent file movement software helps the world’s top content creators and distributors ensure fast, secure delivery of large files over public and private networks. Built on Signiant’s patented technology, the company’s on-premises software and SaaS solutions move petabytes of high-value data every day between users, applications and systems with proven ease. www.signiant.com