TOKYO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Lakeshore Public Media (www.lakeshorepublicmedia.org) today announced a new partnership with NHK WORLD TV (www.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/) which will bring Japanese and Asian news and lifestyle programming to more than 3.5 million homes in the Chicago and Northwest Indiana areas. The stand-alone, 24-hour, English-language television network produced by NHK, Japan’s sole public, independent broadcaster, launches Wednesday, April 1 via digital broadcast through WYIN, a dedicated over-the-air channel (Channel 56.2) and on Comcast (Channel 377).
“Lakeshore Public Media is committed to providing high-quality international news and cultural programming to the Chicago and Northwest Indiana regions,” said James A. Muhammad, president and CEO of Lakeshore Public Media. “Partnering with NHK WORLD TV means we now offer another significant perspective to our diverse viewing audience.”
Based in Tokyo, Japan, NHK WORLD TV provides a variety of informative and entertaining news, business, food, travel, technology and cultural programming around the clock, featuring some of Asia’s top talent. The network recently announced an expansion of its lineup. Programs include (New shows are marked with an asterisk):
- “NEWSROOM TOKYO”* – A 45-minute, weekday news program with comprehensive, in-depth coverage and commentary on Japan and Asia.
- “NEWSLINE” – Journalists from around the world report news and breaking news, including the latest in politics, business, technology and culture in Asia.
- “GLOBAL AGENDA”* – A monthly show featuring debates among global leaders, who take on challenging issues currently facing Japan and the rest of the world.
Business and Technology
- “SAMURAI WHEELS”* – Hosts introduce the latest Japanese-made automobiles and celebrate the country’s car culture.
- “Japan Railway Journal”* – Discover the secrets of Japan’s railways, from the newest technologies and systems in use to travel tips and must-see locations.
Culture, Lifestyle and Entertainment
- “Sushi and Beyond”* – An animated series based on the bestselling book of the same name. Food writer Michael Booth and his family live in Japan and enjoy the country’s cuisine.
- “cool japan” – A panel of international special guests examine the appeal and secrets to the hip cultural aspects of Japan. Hosted by Risa Stegmayer and Shoji Kokami.
- “KABUKI KOOL” – An exploration of the world of Kabuki, with shows selected based on modern themes and featuring Kabuki’s creative staging.
“We are excited to share such a diverse lineup with the Chicago and Northwest Indiana audience. It includes everything from the most up-to-date news coverage of major world events to delicious recipes from our region’s top chefs to key trends in Asian technology, music and fashion,” said Yoshihiko Shimizu, president and CEO, Japan International Broadcasting. “We feel confident viewers will enjoy our offerings as they learn more about Japan and all of Asia.”
The network will also provide an assortment of groundbreaking documentaries and specials on both Lakeshore Public Media’s digital and main channels. You can view the entire program schedule at http://www.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/tv/schedule/index.html.
NHK WORLD TV now airs 24 hours a day, seven days a week in six of the top 10 television markets, including New York, Philadelphia, Washington, DC, Los Angeles and San Francisco. The channel will be broadcast in HD 720P on WYIN and Comcast and is currently available in 280 million households across 150 countries and regions.
About Japan International Broadcasting, Inc.
Japan International Broadcasting Inc. (JIB), a subsidiary of NHK, is responsible for the worldwide distribution of the HD English language news/lifestyle program “NHK WORLD TV”, as well as the Japanese language program “NHK WORLD Premium.” Currently, the two channels are broadcast around the world on three international and 26 domestic satellites and reach households, hotels and others via DTH, cable, IPTV and terrestrial broadcast.
About Lakeshore Public Media
Lakeshore Public Media is a multi-platform, media operation serving Northwest Indiana and Chicagoland through television, radio and the web. Based in Merrillville, Indiana, Lakeshore Public Media presents quality PBS, NPR and original content designed to educate, enlighten and inform the communities we serve. Lakeshore Public Media strives to build a strong sense of community by being the leading force in connecting people, ideas and information through multiple, ongoing media and outreach activities.