BALTIMORE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--BGE is encouraging customers to power down in celebration of Earth Hour, 8:30 p.m.- 9:30 p.m. ET, Saturday, March 28, and join millions across the world in this global effort. Earth Hour is the world’s largest annual voluntary environmental action event to raise awareness about climate change. BGE will be turning off nonessential lights at its Baltimore offices to mark Earth Hour.
In addition to turning off lights during Earth Hour, BGE customers can take a number of steps to save energy, money and the environment year round through the BGE Smart Energy Savers Program®, including:
- Schedule a Quick Home Energy Check-up at BGESmartEnergy.com with an energy efficiency professional to evaluate insulation, heating and cooling systems, lighting, appliances and more;
- Use a programmable thermostat;
- Caulk and weather strip windows and doors;
- Turn lights off when you leave a room;
- Close blinds/shades/drapes in the summer and leave them open in the winter;
- Use energy-efficient appliances: When shopping for appliances such as refrigerators, look for the ENERGY STAR® label, and purchase the most affordable energy efficient unit.
Before customers turn their lights back on this Earth Hour, it is a great time to replace energy-wasting incandescent light bulbs with new CFLs (compact fluorescent light bulbs) or LEDs (light emitting diodes), which typically use 70-90 percent less energy than incandescent bulbs. CFLs also last about 10 times longer, while LEDs last about 25 times longer. Through BGE’s Smart Energy Savers Program, customers can receive instant in-store discounts on select ENERGY STAR® certified CFLs and LEDs.
BGE’s sister utilities, ComEd in Chicago and PECO in Philadelphia, also are participating in recognizing this global event.
BGE, headquartered in Baltimore, is Maryland’s largest natural gas and electric utility, delivering power to more than 1.25 million electric customers and more than 650,000 natural gas customers in central Maryland. The company’s approximately 3,200 employees are committed to the safe and reliable delivery of natural gas and electricity, as well as enhanced energy management, conservation, environmental stewardship and community assistance. BGE is a subsidiary of Exelon Corporation (NYSE: EXC), the nation’s leading competitive energy provider, with 2014 revenues of approximately $27.4 billion. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter, YouTube and Flickr.