DOWNERS GROVE, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DeVry University today released its fifth Academic Annual Report, a transparent overview of the university’s quality initiatives and progress in the 2013–2014 academic year. The report includes information about student demographics, improvement efforts, quality metrics, program innovations and accreditation activities, among other initiatives.
The primary focus of the Academic Annual Report is to show enhancements in areas of academic quality, particularly those that help students complete their degree programs and that help to close the skills gap between education and workforce needs. “By living our organizational values of helping our students achieve their goals and continuous improvement, we are shaping our institution to adapt to the changing landscape of higher education,” said Robert Paul, president of DeVry University. “This is a time of transformation in higher education, and we are leveraging our 84-year history of innovation in education to deliver strong, career-oriented student outcomes.”
Academic Quality Highlights
To drive progress in key areas of academic importance, DeVry University participates in the Higher Learning Commission’s Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP). Through AQIP, the university focuses on targeted action projects, which in 2013–2014 included furthering development of the university’s honors program, evolving its faculty model to influence student learning outcomes and improving the tracking of faculty members’ academic accomplishments.
The university holds itself accountable for defining and measuring academic quality through the following five tenets:
- Tenet 1: Advances in Curriculum and Innovation
- Tenet 2: Student Learning Outcomes and Experience
- Tenet 3: Faculty Development and Engagement
- Tenet 4: Student Degree Completion and Support
- Tenet 5: Student Engagement to Graduation and Beyond
“Our dedication to maintaining high standards and adapting to meet the needs of our students is steadfast,” said Donna M. Loraine, Ph.D., chief academic officer and provost. “Over the years, we have broadened the scope of how we define and measure academic quality, an evolution that is reflected in this fifth-year report.”
The report explains how DeVry University looks outward to study and implement best practices in higher education through its participation in the Higher Learning Commission’s Academy of Student Persistence and Completion. The university was one of 13 institutions accepted into the academy’s first cohort. Through this collaborative four-year program, DeVry University is working with peer institutions to implement efforts that will help students reach their academic goals.
The 2013–2014 report spotlights many additional improvement efforts intended to enhance the student experience, including:
- Increasing first-time, full-time student retention through year-over-year continuous improvement efforts, with 55 percent of bachelor’s degree-seeking students retained in the 2012-2013 academic year, as compared to 50 percent reported for 2011-2012.
- Helping students manage their finances with a new web-based tool called Manage My Loans. Students can view their academic progression in relationship to their aggregate loan limits and see the impact borrowing decisions have on their loan repayment.
- Supporting continuing education by launching three complimentary Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) in the subjects of career development, cybersecurity and financial analysis. Nearly 21,000 course-takers have participated to date, with high completion rates compared to other MOOCs.
- Creating a student-centric scheduling tool to streamline students’ graduation path by providing the courses they need, when they need them and in the right modality.
Throughout the report, special attention is noted where the university is working to close the skills gap between education and workforce needs, and helping students complete their degree programs.
To read the full 2013-2014 Academic Annual Report, visit: DeVry University's Newsroom.
About DeVry University
DeVry University’s mission is to foster student learning through high-quality, career-oriented education integrating technology, business, science and the arts. Founded in 1931, the university offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs onsite and online covering 34 different career fields within its five distinguished colleges of study: Business & Management, Engineering & Information Sciences, Health Sciences, Liberal Arts & Sciences, and Media Arts & Technology. The university is institutionally accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, www.ncahlc.org. DeVry University provides an education that prepares its students for a lifetime of success with dedicated faculty and staff who are committed to their students’ academic success. Its highly credentialed faculty members work in the fields that they teach, providing real-world experiences that prepare students for in-demand careers.
With more than 75 locations in the U.S., DeVry University is one of the largest private-sector universities in North America. The university is a part of DeVry Education Group (NYSE: DV), a global provider of educational services. Find DeVry University on Twitter @DeVryUniv and Facebook at /DEVRYUNIVERSITY, or visit newsroom.devry.edu.