STAMFORD, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sheraton Hotels & Resorts, part of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT), today revealed the results of a newly commissioned survey on global wine and travel trends as part of the brand’s signature premium wine program, Sheraton Selects Wine program. The survey found that after a long day, one out of every two people would reach for a glass of wine (48%), rather than their smartphone/tablet (15%) or even their spouse (15%). The research was conducted by leading market research firm, StudyLogic, and surveyed respondents from the United States, Germany, China, Chile, and Argentina. The study is timed with the next installment of the ongoing Sheraton North American wine series, Sheraton Selects Spotlight on Pinot Noir, which launches today.
The survey took a closer look at the wine habits, taste preferences, spending habits and social influences of today’s global traveler. The results not only provided valuable insights into the close relationship between wine and travel, but also uncovered some surprising statistics showing where wine stacks up among life’s other indulgences—such as sex, social media, smartphones, the spa, and the gym.
Wine plays an important role in relaxation both at home and while traveling.
- Respondents would be most likely to give up their smartphone for a day (29%), sex for a week (23%), or their social media accounts for a week (23%), in return for a premium highly rated glass of wine
- After a long day, one out of every two people would reach for a glass of wine (48%), rather than their smartphone/tablet (15%) or even their spouse (15%)
- Wine is the most desirable way to unwind while traveling (57%), beating out the spa (23%) and the gym (12%)
Will Travel for Wine
Wine consumption spikes when on the road, as travelers choose to indulge and invest.
- Three-fifths (60%) of respondents note that they drink the most wine while traveling
- While on the road, nearly three-quarters of respondents (74%) are more adventurous in trying new wines
- More than half of respondents (54%) are most likely to consider paying more for a premium glass or bottle of wine while traveling
- Travelers are more likely to invest in premium wine, with two-thirds (67%) willing to spend the most on wine while away from home
The Intimidation Game
Choosing a premium wine can be a daunting task, and respondents revealed several of the key stress points of an evening out.
- Nearly three-fifths of respondents (59%) have found it intimidating to speak with a wine expert
- More than two-thirds (68%) have avoided ordering wine for the table because they were afraid that others might not like it
- The vast majority of respondents (86%) have drunk a glass of wine that they did not like
- When respondents had drunk a glass of wine that they did not like, they did so mostly because everyone else was drinking it (22%), because it was the only selection available (20%), or because it was highly recommended (20%)
- Nearly three-fifths of respondents (59%) have been embarrassed or afraid to request a tasting prior to buying wine at an establishment
“As a global leader in hospitality, we constantly strive to better understand what our guests want from their hotels, and then aim to exceed their expectations,” said Hoyt Harper, Global Brand Leader for Sheraton Hotels & Resorts. “These survey results confirmed the importance of having a first-rate, yet accessible wine program. Sheraton Selects Wine program is designed to provide premium wine offerings that our guests want in an approachable way.”
Sheraton Hotels Shines a Spotlight
In tandem with this survey announcement, the Sheraton Selects Spotlight on Pinot Noir launches today in North America as the fourth installment of the successful wine program. Past features of the Sheraton Selects Spotlight Series have highlighted the Riesling grape, the wines of New Zealand, and most recently, Champagne. Each installment features Sheraton Selects, an upgraded premium wine menu comprised of a rotation of eight or more Wine Spectator-rated wines by the glass. The Sheraton Selects Spotlight program includes two Pinot Noir offerings on all participating Sheraton Selects menus, and hotels may also offer Pinot Noir flights and food pairings.
Sheraton Selects Wine program’s Continued Success
Sheraton Selects Wine program provides travelers with access to premium wines through weekly evening tasting events. Following the global rollout of the program, hotels around the world have reported higher bar RevPOR (revenue per occupied room) and have seen an average 20 percent increase in YOY (year over year) beverage revenue in their lobby bars. Join the celebration on social media by following #SocialHour and @sheratonhotels on Instagram.
About Sheraton Hotels & Resorts
Sheraton helps guests make connections at more than 400 hotels in nearly 70 countries around the world. The brand recently completed a $6 billion global revitalization and is now in the midst of an $8 billion global expansion over the next three years. Sheraton is owned by and is the largest and most global brand of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc., one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world with nearly 1,200 properties in 100 countries and over 180,000 employees at its owned and managed properties. Starwood is a fully integrated owner, operator and franchisor of hotels, resorts and residences with the following internationally renowned brands: St. Regis®, The Luxury Collection®, W®, Westin®, Le Méridien®, Sheraton®, Four Points® by Sheraton, Aloft®, and Element®. The Company boasts one of the industry’s leading loyalty programs, Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG®), allowing members to earn and redeem points for room stays, room upgrades and flights, with no blackout dates. Starwood recently announced plans to spin off its Starwood Vacation Ownership, Inc. business, a premier provider of world-class vacation experiences through villa-style resorts and privileged access to Starwood brands, into a standalone public company by the end of 2015. For more information, please visit www.starwoodhotels.com.