DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Omni Hotels & Resorts today announced its sponsorship of PGA TOUR player, Matt Jones. The Australian golfer was winner of the 2014 Shell Houston Open.
If their first tournament together is any indication, Omni and the veteran Australian golf star are going to really enjoy their new relationship. Jones made his debut as an Omni-sponsored player at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am on February 12. He sported his Omni-branded polo and golf bag as he tied for seventh place, his best finish of the season. Jones shot rounds of 65-66-67 to put himself in the final group of the nationally televised closing round. He followed up his Pebble Beach performance in Los Angeles the following week, finishing in a tie for 14th place at the Northern Trust Open.
Jones’ partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts extends through the 2015 season, during which he will be featured in special events and contests. As part of this partnership, Jones will stay at several Omni properties throughout the tour schedule including Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate during the Arnold Palmer Invitational, March 19-22.
Located in some of the country’s most beautiful destinations, Omni Hotels & Resorts golf courses are designed by award-winning golf architects, some of who are legendary champions of the game. Each golf resort is complete with luxurious accommodations and superior service, on and off the course.
Omni golf destinations offer challenges for golfers at all levels of play, so pros, amateurs and their families alike can find courses to enjoy, creating distinct golf vacations in prime locations on legendary fairways and greens.
Several courses in the Omni golf collection have a history and tradition of hosting PGA TOUR events, as well as national and international championship competition:
- Omni Tucson National Resort hosted more than 30 events between 1965 and 2006, featuring one of the TOUR’s most challenging finishing holes.
- The historic Donald Ross course at The Omni Grove Park Inn was not only a tour stop from 1933 through 1951 but also where the PGA of America was born.
- Omni La Costa Resort & Spa’s history with both the PGA and LPGA Tours dates back to 1965.
- Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa hosted the Champions Tour Legends of Golf from 1990-1994.
- The Champions Tour Father-Son Challenge was played at Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate from 2003-2008.
- The Omni Homestead Resort has hosted the U.S. Women’s Open, U.S. Amateur and U.S. Women’s Amateur Championships, Curtis Cup and NCAA men’s championships, as well as PGA TOUR Champions Tour events.
- The Bedford Springs Open, a precursor to modern tour events, was held at Omni Bedford Springs Resort in the 1930s.
Jones, who turns 35 in April, is from Sydney, Australia. As a junior champion he competed at Arizona State University, where he was a first-team All-America selection. He turned pro in 2001 and has won close to $8 million on the PGA TOUR. He and his wife, Melissa, a former Miss Idaho, have two young daughters.
About Omni Hotels & Resorts Golf Portfolio
Located in some of the country’s most beautiful destinations, Omni Hotels & Resorts golf courses are designed by award-winning golf architects, including legendary champions of the game. Each destination offers challenges for golfers at all levels of play, so pros, amateurs and their families alike can find courses to enjoy, creating distinct golf vacations in prime locations on legendary fairways and greens. Each of the 11 golf resorts (360 total holes) is complete with luxurious accommodations and superior service, on and off the course.
For additional information or to book tee times, visit www.omnihotels.com/destinations/golf.