Hoops Fans Will Help Decide Who Will Be the Next C Spire Howell and Gillom Trophy Winners Honoring Mississippi’s Top Male and Female College Basketball Players

New formula for determining winners means fans will influence 10 percent of the award total; sparking renewed excitement, interest and engagement with their favorite players and schools

JACKSON, Miss.--()--For only the second time in the history of the awards, Mississippi hoops fans will have the opportunity to take part in the voting for the C Spire Howell and Gillom Trophies, which annually honor the Magnolia state’s top male and female college basketball players.

C Spire, along with the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum (MSHOF), announced today that fan voting will count for 10 percent of the 2015 Howell and Gillom Trophy awards. A panel of statewide media will comprise the remaining 90 percent of the voting.

“This gives fans a chance to play a part in helping identify our state’s best male and female college basketball players,” said Rick Cleveland, executive director of the MSHOF and co-sponsor of the award along with C Spire. “The National Basketball Association and players and coaches have used fan voting to determine who plays in the All-Star game for years. Giving our fans, who are some of the most passionate in sports, a voice in the process creates more interest in a pair of awards that have become an integral part of Mississippi college basketball tradition.”

More background information

About C Spire

C Spire is a diversified telecommunications and technology services company that provides world-class service and a superior, comprehensive suite of customer-inspired wireless communications, ultra high speed Internet access and a range of other telecommunications products and services to consumers and businesses. This news release and other announcements are available at www.cspire.com/news. For more information about C Spire, visit www.cspire.com or follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cspire or Twitter at www.twitter.com/cspire.

Contacts

C Spire
Dave Miller, 601-974-7725
dnmiller@cspire.com

Release Summary

Fans will have the opportunity to take part in the voting for the 2015 C Spire Howell and Gillom Trophies, which annually honor Mississippi's top male and female college basketball players.

Contacts

C Spire
Dave Miller, 601-974-7725
dnmiller@cspire.com