OLDWICK, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--This A.M.BestTV episode examines the recent Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS) Directors & Officers (D&O) Symposium in New York where insurance executives stated that the D&O market is in a period of uncertainty caused by oil price volatility and new international exposures for corporations.
More than 1,100 professionals attended the annual symposium, where emerging risks, especially fluctuating prices for oil, were hot topics.
“Sub $50 per barrel prices are going to create challenges directly for hundreds, if not, thousands of companies,” said Dan Fortin, senior vice president at Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance. “Already, there has been activity in the securities as well as the derivatives fronts and I expect more of it. How long this challenge will last depends on how long prices will remain at the sub $50 per barrel level.”
Another hot topic considered was the concern over global expansion.
“There have been many changes both in connection with the sophistication of the products offered and in terms of the liability exposures of D&O,” said Kevin LaCroix, executive vice president at RT ProExec. LaCroix said he believes that in “Singapore, Hong Kong, Mumbai, London as well as traditional European markets, growth has occurred in the D&O marketplace for these reasons.”
Other people who appear in this episode include:
- Jim Skarzynski, chairman, Skarzynski Black; and,
- Perry Granof, managing director, Granof International Group.
Click here to view the entire video program: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=plus215.
Recent episodes of A.M.BestTV include:
- Study Shows Commercial Insurers Draw Mixed Reviews: A new study that found risk managers favored commercial insurers that offer flexible coverages and identified emerging risks. Insurers with frequent client interaction scored best: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=bebout215.
- Disabled Veterans Prep for Business’ ‘Best Kept Secret’: A program by the Disabled Veterans Insurance Careers, which offers disabled military veterans job training, opportunities and the prospect of joining the insurance industry. This program is considered by some to be the “best kept secret in the business world.” http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=vets215.
- Risk and Insurance Management Society, Inc. Property/Casualty Insurers Take Small Steps Toward Health Distribution: Experts discussed the potential for property/casualty insurers to cross sector lines into the health care arena, and if so, whether that entry could be at the underwriting level or would it be limited to distribution channels: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=pchealth215.
- Leading Analysts Discuss Global Economy; State of Russia Insurance Industry; Persisting Losses at U.S. Co-Ops: The latest episode of “First Monday” looks at global economic divergence, tough operating conditions for Russian insurers and the financial viability of U.S. health co-ops: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=firstmonday215.
A.M.BestTV covers exclusive A.M. Best information and reports, targeted topics and key developments in the (re)insurance industry every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Sign up for alerts of episodes at http://www.ambest.com/multimedia/ambtvsignup.html. View A.M.BestTV episodes at http://www.ambest.tv.
A.M. Best Company is the world’s oldest and most authoritative insurance rating and information source. For more information, visit www.ambest.com.
Copyright © 2015 by A.M. Best Company, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.