TAIPEI, Taiwan--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CyberLink Corp. (5203.TW), the world’s leading consumer multimedia software company, has released a set of helpful photography suggestions for the coming holidays. Titled 5 Ways to Avoid Holiday Photo Fails, the set of tips is aimed at helping beginner and intermediate photographers steer clear of shooting missteps that could spoil an otherwise perfect photo moment.
The holidays are traditionally a time of fantastic photo opportunities, and yet many pictures will end up being discarded due to problems with lighting, shot framing, or composition. Users of both mobile devices and DSLR (Digital single-lens reflex) cameras should be aware of the specific challenges that come with photographing holiday events and gatherings, and prepare accordingly.
“Capturing the energy and excitement of the holiday season is a goal shared by many, and today’s family photos are seen by more people than ever as they are shared on social media and even used in the creation of custom greeting cards.” said Alice H. Chang, CEO of CyberLink. “In this very special season, we hope our holiday tips help photographers of all levels unleash their full creativity.”
Achieving flawless holiday photos can involve more than just setting up the shot. Photo adjustment apps such as CyberLink’s PhotoDirector (for PC), and PhotoDirector Mobile (for smartphones and tablet computers) provide efficient photo management as well as comprehensive tools for photo adjustment and editing.
See which of the tips below will bring the greatest advantage to your holiday photography:
- Tip #1 – Plan in Advance and Edit, Edit, Edit!: Group shots can involve quite a bit of coordination – whether it’s finding matching (ugly) sweaters or trying to get the kids to stay still and stop crying – the perfect shot is never as easy as it looks. Find a comfortable location with good lighting to make sure everyone will fit and be noticed. Take plenty of photos to increase your odds of getting a perfect shot. If that still doesn’t work the right editing software can help stitch together the best faces from each shot into one image that will trick your friends into thinking you have the perfectly behaved family.
- Tip #2 – Abide by the Rule of Thirds: This is an oldie but goodie! The rule of thirds can be helpful in most circumstances and suggest that an image be divided into nine equal parts by two equally spaced horizontal and vertical lines and is usually just a tap away on a smartphone or point-and-shoot camera. The important elements of your shot should be placed at the intersections of the lines for an ideal composition. Experts recommend filling the frame as much as possible with the kids, grandma or the holiday ham – anything to minimize a distracting background will help keep focus on the subject you want.
- Tip #3 – Keep Up with the Candid Moments: For those of us claiming to live reality show worthy lives, candid photos are often the most memorable and easily captured on a smartphone. Tricks like burst mode can be found on most devices and it’s perfect for catching the spontaneous moments your family will be talking about for years to come! The pros suggest staying away from the zoom though, as it can dilute the final image. If you’re trying to capture a candid, don’t be afraid to jump right into the moment and take a close up!
- Tip #4 – Set Up a Selfie Station: You shouldn’t have to do all the work this year! Set up a smartphone tripod so users can take photos throughout your holiday gatherings and you won’t have to spend the entire time running around making sure everyone is accounted for. This way guests can take stable and high-quality candid shots and you have some surprise photos when all is said and done.
- Tip #5 – Invest in Quality Photo Editing Software: At the end of the day, we all have to admit we aren’t perfect. Quality photo editing software can help clear up any imperfections as a result of a bit too much eggnog or rambunctious kids that end up a blur. These can help adjust the exposure, color and so much more in a way that just can compare with a simple Instagram filter.
CyberLink’s unique applications PhotoDirector and PhotoDirector Mobile provide a broad array of easy-to-use tools that let you correct the coloring and brightness of a picture, and even enhance your subjects’ physical features such as skin complexion, hair color, and body shape. For your holiday selfies, the mobile apps YouCam Makeup and YouCam Perfect help you achieve the precise level of glamour and beauty you want to project. Share both holiday selfies and your family photos using U Messenger, and keep the holiday spirit alive with its innovative photo chat feature. For more information on CyberLink’s apps, visit the company’s App Zone.
Founded in 1996, CyberLink Corp. is the world’s leading consumer multimedia software company. Over 100 patented technologies that provide a solid foundation on which to continuously revolutionize the way multimedia is experienced, and a visionary outlook has allowed the company to grow rapidly. This ultimately led to a record-breaking IPO on the Taiwan Over-the-Counter Exchange (OTC: 5203) in 2000. CyberLink is currently listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange (ticker symbol: 5203.TW).