INDIANAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Family owned and Indiana-based Salin Bank and Trust Company today announced six ways to avoid holiday shopping scams.
In the wake of recent data breaches, shoppers should be on high alert while purchasing their presents this holiday season. “While millions of credit and debit card transactions are conducted safely every day, it’s important that consumers are aware of the potential for holiday scams,” said Robin Walker, Executive Vice President – Retail Banking.
Salin Bank offers the following tips to help consumers keep their information safe, whether shopping in the store or online:
- Monitor your account. Use online and mobile banking to keep an eye on your transactions. Notify the bank right away if there’s any fraudulent activity.
- Beware of phishing scams. During the holidays, criminals will create a fake email for a deal that’s too good to be true. If you click on any links within the email, you may be downloading malware onto your computer or you may be asked for payment information that could lead to fraud.
- Don’t carry large sums of cash. Even though we’ve seen financial crime migrate from physical to cyber, customers should be careful not to carry around large sums of cash when shopping. There are banking regulations to protect consumers if there is fraud or unauthorized activity on their account. If cash is stolen, your money is gone.
- Secure your internet connection. If shopping online, make sure you do so from a password protected Wi-Fi network. Never access online banking from a public Wi-Fi network.
- Shop safely. Before making an online purchase, make sure the website uses secure technology. When you are at the checkout screen, verify that the web address begins with https. Also, check to see if a tiny locked padlock symbol appears on the page.
About Salin Bank and Trust Company
Salin Bank and Trust Company is one of Indiana’s largest family owned community banks, with more than $750 million in assets. Salin Bank operates 21 banking locations in 10 Indiana counties serving Columbus, Delphi, Edinburgh, Flora, Fort Wayne, Galveston, Gas City, Kokomo, Lafayette, Logansport, Marion, West Lafayette, Fishers, and Indianapolis.