WEST DES MOINES, Iowa--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With gas prices at a four-year low, experts are predicting a significant increase in traffic on the road as families trek near and far to be with loved ones and friends this holiday season.
According to projections from AAA Motor Club, more than 41 million people will travel during the Thanksgiving holiday, making this the biggest year for holiday travel since 2007. More than 89 percent of those traveling will use the country’s highways, a 4.3 percent increase over 2013.
“Anticipating a busier than usual travel season gives us an opportunity to plan ahead and take the necessary precautions to ensure a safe and joyous holiday season,” says Farm Bureau Financial Services, Chief Executive Officer, James P. Brannen.
Farm Bureau Financial Services offers the following checklist to help holiday adventurers get ready for the busiest travel season of the year:
- Make sure your vehicle and tires – including the spare – are in good repair; check and replenish fluids before you head out
- Have a travel partner to keep you company and share the driving
- Always maintain a safe distance between vehicles
- Slow it down, especially if the weather takes a turn
- If you drink, let someone else drive
- Always use safety belts and safety seats for kids
- Avoid the rush by making a plan; schedule stops and keep young children busy and content
- Keep your mobile phone charged
- Pack your vehicle so your view is never obstructed
- Share your itinerary with a friend or family member, so someone always knows where you are
- Fight the urge to overeat just before hitting the road; that last piece of pie may make you drowsy
- Get a good night’s rest before getting behind the wheel
- Pack an emergency kit, just in case – first aid supplies, blankets, flashlight and extra batteries, flares, a shovel, high energy foods and water, and sand or kitty litter for traction.
For more tips on staying safe as you travel this holiday season, visit the Farm Bureau Financial Services Learning Center.
About Farm Bureau Financial Services
Through an exclusive, multi-state agent force, the companies affiliated with the Farm Bureau Financial Services brand underwrite, market and distribute a broad range of insurance and financial services products to individuals and businesses. Learn more about us by visiting www.fbfs.com. Or, visit us at www.facebook.com/farmbureaufinancialservices, www.twitter.com/fbfs or www.youtube.com/FarmBureauFinclSvcs.