Research and Markets: Global Glycated Haemoglobin (HbA1c) Testing Market Outlook: Sufferers is Likely to Increase to 592 Million by 2035

DUBLIN--()--Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/99x8c2/glycated) has announced the addition of the "Glycated Haemoglobin (HbA1c) Testing Market" report to their offering.

Diabetes is a chronic disease growing at an alarming rate across the globe. Over 382 million people are estimated to be currently suffering from the disease; the number is likely to increase to 592 million by 2035.

With a very high prevalence, especially in some regions such as China and India, an increasing proportion of diabetic patients are likely to benefit from more efficient and accurate diagnostic tests in the future. Furthermore, an efficient measurement of the condition can help lower the rate of serious complications, such as heart attack and stroke. HbA1c, adapted for clinical testing to monitor diabetes in 1990s, is one such test; it can monitor and give average glucose results over the past 120 days. The test offers significant advantages over usual blood glucose monitoring assays; these include no prior fasting requirement, high sample stability, low day-to-day variation and limited impact from external physical factors such as stress.

The adoption of HbA1c tests has gradually risen in the recent past. While the laboratory analyzers are likely to strengthen their existing position, a significant growth will also be driven by Point of Care (POC) devices. POC devices bring a change in overall diabetes management and the lifestyle of the individual. Compared to laboratory tests, they can be used at home or physician's office with instantaneous results and accuracy. In addition, considering the lifetime costs, POC testing is comparatively cheaper than laboratory testing. Increased efforts to overcome lack of awareness, especially in emerging markets, are also expected to drive adoption levels further.

With a large number of devices already in market for HbA1c testing and more to come in the future years, HbA1c market is likely to shape up much better in the coming years. We have strong reasons to believe that the overall market outlook will stay positive in the mid-long term.

Executive Summary:

  • We identified 41 companies which are active in the HbA1c monitoring market. Amongst the 41 companies, nine manufacture both laboratory and POC analyzers. Except for the bigger companies which account for 41% of the overall industry, the nature of the market is quite fragmented.
  • Currently, 108 HbA1c analyzers are commercially available. Of these, 71% are for laboratory use and the remaining 29% are for either home use or at physician's office.
  • Specifically, for the POC testing, turbidimetry immunoassay and boronate affinity chromatography are the most commonly deployed principles (accounting for 50% and 35% of the POC devices respectively). The POC testing market has witnessed growing interest levels; acceptance is likely to rise further as a result of increased end-user convenience.
  • For laboratory analyzers, Siemens, Beckman Coulter, Roche, Bio-Rad, Abbott, ELITech are some well-known players. The global distribution network of some of these players has positioned them to actively monetize this growing market.
  • The overall market, in addition to an already well-established macro environment, will continue to benefit from continuous improvements in technology. In our base case, we expect the global HbA1c diabetes monitoring market to witness an annualized growth rate of 8.8%.

For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/99x8c2/glycated

Contacts

Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager
press@researchandmarkets.com
For E.S.T Office Hours Call 1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call 1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
Sector: Diagnostics

Contacts

Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager
press@researchandmarkets.com
For E.S.T Office Hours Call 1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call 1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
Sector: Diagnostics