NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the nation’s largest retail bookseller and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, today announced Barnes & Noble Discovery Weekend (www.bn.com/discoveryweekend), a special three-day event to kick off the holiday shopping season in all of the company’s stores nationwide Friday, November 21, through Sunday, November 23. Building off the success of last year’s first-ever Discovery Friday, the expanded program begins one week prior to Black Friday and features family-friendly events, interactive activities, Storytime events, as well as book signings and appearances by more than 100 bestselling authors and notable personalities.
Barnes & Noble designed Discovery Weekend to help customers discover the perfect holiday gift for everyone on their list, including an amazing selection of books, NOOK® reading and entertainment devices, toys and games, and inspired gifts for all ages. Throughout the weekend customers will find a variety of promotions, special discounts and NOOK offers to begin their holiday shopping.
Nearly 35,000 knowledgeable booksellers are ready to answer customers’ “What to give?” challenge, and beginning today, for the first time, that personalized holiday gift advice from Barnes & Noble will also be available to holiday shoppers on Twitter. Through December 23, Barnes & Noble will extend its booksellers' expert knowledge online by providing customized gift ideas to those who tweet their holiday gift-related questions using the hashtag #BNGiftTip. Learn more and follow the conversation at www.twitter.com/bnbuzz.
“We pride ourselves on helping our customers discover perfect holiday gifts through our expansive array of incredible books, NOOKs, toys, games and gifts, all with the personalized assistance and recommendations from our expert booksellers,” said Mitchell Klipper, CEO of Barnes & Noble Retail Group. “Our customers told us how much they enjoyed last year’s breakthrough Discovery event and asked us for even more. So we are excited to expand our special holiday season kickoff to an entire weekend pre-Thanksgiving, filled with family-friendly events and activities, and terrific tailored gifts ideas and advice available in every one of our stores.”
Events and Activities In-Store for All Ages
No matter the customer’s age, Barnes & Noble Discovery Weekend boasts a complete lineup of holiday activities for all. Events taking place at Barnes & Noble’s more than 650 locations across the country include:
Friday, November 21:
7 p.m.: Linkee® Trivia Tournament:
- For those who like their quiz games simple, fast and fun, Linkee is the shout-out game with a twist. Players don’t win by answering the questions, but by guessing the link between the answers. (Recommended for ages 14 and up)
- 7 p.m.: Linkee® Trivia Tournament:
Saturday, November 22:
10 a.m.: Create With ArtFolds™:
- Customers are invited to transform a book or card into a piece of art using the ArtFolds technique. Customers are encouraged to arrive early, as space and supplies are limited. (Recommended for ages 13 and up)
11 a.m.: Learn to Draw Like Mo Willems – Storytime & Activity:
- Children will enjoy a reading of Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, then learn how to draw the beloved Pigeon with instructions created by the award-winning author and illustrator. (Recommended for children ages 4 and up)
1 p.m.: Puppet Making & Holiday Sing-Along:
- Young ones are invited to create a puppet and sing with their newfound puppet friends. Customers are encouraged to arrive early, as space and supplies are limited. (Recommended for children ages 4 and up)
7 p.m.: Holiday Fluxx® Game Night:
- Customer are invited to get introduced to this unexpected holiday card game with ever-changing rules – even the object of the game changes as often as players draw a card or say “Go”! (Recommended for ages 12 and up)
- 10 a.m.: Create With ArtFolds™:
Sunday, November 23:
1 p.m.: Snowmen at Night – Storytime, Crafts &
- Kids will enjoy a reading of this winter tale that follows the secret life of snowmen at night, then create one to bring home. (Recommended for ages 4 and up)
- 1 p.m.: Snowmen at Night – Storytime, Crafts & Activities:
More than 100 Author Appearances at Local Barnes & Noble Stores
A number of Barnes & Noble stores will host more than 100 bestselling authors for book signings and readings during Discovery Weekend. Local authors will also make in-store appearances at their Barnes & Noble stores. Notable events include:
- Chanda Bell, who will read and sign her recently released book perfect for the holidays, Elf Pets: A Reindeer Tradition (November 21, Bensalem/Philadelphia, PA)
- Red Hot Chili Peppers front man and bestselling author Anthony Kiedis, and David Mushegain, who celebrate the band’s fans in Fandemonium (November 21, New York City)
- Musician Lisa Loeb, performing songs from her new songbook, Lisa Loeb's Songs for Movin' and Shakin': The Air Band Song and Other Toe-Tapping Tunes (November 22, Calabasas, CA)
- Bill Nye “The Science Guy” and author of Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (November 22, Paramus, NJ)
- Actress Evangeline Lilly, who will read and sign her new picture book, The Squickerwonkers, vol. 1. (November 22, Los Angeles, CA)
- Joel Osteen, author of You Can, You Will: 8 Undeniable Qualities of a Winner and other bestsellers (November 23, Costa Mesa, CA)
More information regarding Discovery Weekend events, activities and a complete listing of author appearances taking place November 21-23 can be found at www.bn.com/discoveryweekend.
Meet, Greet and Shop with Nick Jonas NOOK App™ Sweepstakes
During Discovery Weekend, customers can visit the NOOK counter and use a Samsung Galaxy Tab® 4 NOOK® demonstration device to enter for a chance to win a once-in-a-lifetime shopping trip. One lucky winner will receive a trip for two to New York City, with a $1,000 Barnes & Noble Gift Card to meet, greet and shop at Barnes & Noble with “Jealous” singer Nick Jonas in celebration of his new self-titled solo album. For complete details and official rules, learn more at www.bn.com/discoveryweekend.
Tour the Store for More
Customers are invited to discover the many exclusive and featured products Barnes & Noble is carrying this holiday season. Throughout the weekend and after each scheduled activity, booksellers will be on hand to provide personalized “Barnes & Noble Discovery Tours” through different areas of the store to help customers identify great gifts for everyone on their shopping list.
The Barnes & Noble Café will be baking its latest creation, delicious fresh baked S’mores Cookies, throughout the weekend and serving them up for only $1.00 each during special promotional hours at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, November 21; 10:30 a.m., 1:30 pm and 7:30 pm on Saturday, November 22; and 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, November 23. (Valid while supplies last.)
Wear Outrageous Holiday Attire to Win
To start the holiday season, booksellers will be decked out in festive attire and customers are encouraged to get into the spirit, wearing their Most Outrageous Holiday Sweater to their local Barnes & Noble store. Shoppers can snap a photo of their outfit and post it on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #BNSweaterContest for the chance to win a first prize of Barnes & Noble’s Top 10 Inspired Gifts of the Season – everything from a Crosley Executive USB Turntable to Craft Beer Kits, valued at nearly $500. Second and third prize winners will be awarded with a $250 and $100 Barnes & Noble Gift Card, respectively. Learn more at http://bnsweatercontest.seenmoments.com.
About Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS) is a Fortune 500 company, the nation’s largest retail bookseller and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products. The Company operates 658 Barnes & Noble bookstores in 50 states, and one of the Web’s largest e-commerce sites, BN.com (www.bn.com). Its NOOK Media LLC subsidiary is a leader in the emerging digital reading and digital education markets. The NOOK digital business offers award-winning NOOK® products and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content through the NOOK Store® (www.nook.com), while Barnes & Noble College Booksellers LLC operates 705 bookstores serving over five million students and faculty members at colleges and universities across the United States. General information on Barnes & Noble, Inc. can be obtained by visiting the Company's corporate website: www.barnesandnobleinc.com.
Barnes & Noble®, Barnes & Noble Booksellers® and Barnes & Noble.com® are trademarks of Barnes & Noble, Inc. or its affiliates.
For more information on Barnes & Noble, follow us on https://twitter.com/BNBuzz, http://instagram.com/barnesandnoble and http://thebarnesandnoble.tumblr.com, and like us on https://www.facebook.com/barnesandnoble.
About NOOK Media LLC
NOOK reading and entertainment products make it easy to Read What You Love, Anywhere You Like™ with a fun, easy-to-use and immersive digital reading experience. With NOOK, customers gain access to the expansive NOOK Store® of more than 3 million digital books in the US and UK, plus periodicals, comics, apps, movies and TV shows, and the ability to enjoy content across a wide array of popular devices through free NOOK Reading Apps™. Find NOOK devices in Barnes & Noble stores and online at www.nook.com, as well as leading retailers including Best Buy, Walmart, Target and many others. NOOK products are available in the United Kingdom at leading retailers; NOOK content can be purchased at www.nook.co.uk.
NOOK®, the NOOK logos and NOOK Media™ are trademarks of barnesandnoble.com llc or its affiliates.