SAN DIEGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Cox Communications today began doubling the speeds on two of its most popular Internet service packages, Cox High Speed Internet Preferred and Cox High Speed Internet Premier. These packages represent more than 75% of Cox’s high-speed internet customers in San Diego. Internet service speeds also will be increased on Cox High Speed Internet Ultimate service package. The rollout of the new speeds will be completed by Oct. 23 for customers in San Diego County. With speeds as fast as 150 megabits, Cox continues to provide its customers with the fastest residential speeds in San Diego. The increased speeds come on the heels of the company’s announced plans to offer gigabit speeds in all of its markets by the end of 2016.
- Cox High Speed Internet Preferred will increase from 25 megabits per second to 50 megabits per second
- Cox High Speed Internet Premier will increase from 50 megabits per second to 100 megabits per second
- Cox High Speed Internet Ultimate will increase from 100 megabits to 150 megabits per second
“Internet usage is doubling every two years, and this increase marks the 10th consecutive Internet speed increase in 11 years for our customers,” said Suzanne Schlundt, Vice President of Marketing for Cox Communications in California. “Consumers are adding more and more devices to their Wi-Fi networks to stream movies and TV shows, download music and share photographs. We’ll continue to invest in our network to offer a broadband experience that not only meets our customers’ needs, but exceeds them.”
Examples of what customers can do with the new speed increases:
|Cox High Speed||Cox High Speed||Cox High Speed|
|Internet Preferred||Internet Premier||Internet Ultimate|
|(50 Megabits)||(100 Megabits)||(150 Megabits)|
|Download an email attachment||in less than a second||in less than a second||in less than a second|
|Download 10 MP3 songs||in 1 second||in less than a second||in less than a second|
|Upload 30 vacation photos||in 2 seconds||in 1 second||in less than a second|
|Upload a video clip up to 35MB||in 8 seconds||in 4 seconds||in 2 seconds|
|Download a full-length movie||in less than 4 minutes||in less than 2 minutes||in 1 minute|
- Cox offers a wide array of broadband service packages designed to suit anyone’s needs, from the casual email user to power gamers and households with multiple family members using the Internet simultaneously.
- All Cox internet customers receive free cloud storage, and the Cox Security Suite Plus and McAfee Family Protection, a comprehensive package of Internet security tools to help ensure online safety with anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-phishing, parental controls and more.
- Cox customers with the Preferred or higher packages have free access to 300,000 Wi-Fi hotspots when they travel to cities including Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Washington D.C. so they can stay connected on-the-go.
Customers interested in experiencing the new Internet speeds can visit www.cox.com/highspeedinternet or a local Cox Solutions Store to test drive the new speeds.
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is a broadband communications and entertainment company, providing advanced digital video, Internet and telephone services over its own nationwide IP network. The third-largest U.S. cable TV company, Cox serves approximately 6 million residences and businesses. Cox Business is a facilities-based provider of voice, video and data solutions for commercial customers, and Cox Media is a full-service provider of national and local cable spot and new media advertising.
Cox is known for its pioneering efforts in cable telephone and commercial services, industry-leading customer care and its outstanding workplaces. For eight years, Cox has been recognized as the top operator for women by Women in Cable Telecommunications; Cox has ranked among DiversityInc's Top 50 Companies for Diversity nine times, including the last eight years. More information about Cox Communications, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cox Enterprises, is available at www.cox.com and www.coxmedia.com.