BALERNA, Switzerland--(BUSINESS WIRE)--APR Applied Pharma Research s.a. (“APR”), the Swiss, independent developer of patent protected, healthcare products, announces that new clinical data on an independent experience with Nexodyn™ in the treatment of difficult-to-heal chronic wounds have been presented by Elia Ricci, MD at the Fall Symposium of Advanced Wound Care in Las Vegas on Friday October 17th, 2014.
The results of a retrospective evaluation in a population with longonset ulcers subjects treated for 6 weeks with Nexodyn™, a new solution characterized by free chlorine species with stabilized hypochlorous acid (HClO) in high concentration (>95%) combined with acidic (pH<3) and oxidizing features (RedOx 1100mV), have been presented.
Patients with a high comorbidity (CIRS-CM2) index (3.3) and with a mean onset age of the ulcers of 27.1 months were treated with Nexodyn™ from twice daily to twice weekly, at physician’s discretion. At enrollment, ulcers presented signs of infection in the 30% of the population, while the remaining 70% did not present signs of infection, but still were difficult-to-heal ulcers that were not adequately responding to standard therapy.
A total 25% of the lesions were completely healed after 6 weeks of treatment with Nexodyn™, and the 100% of the ulcers presenting signs of infection at enrollment were free from any signs of infection at the end of the observation treatment. In addition, Nexodyn™ significantly improved (p=0.042) ulcer pain at week 6 vs. baseline.
Elia Ricci, MD, Board member of AIUC (Italian Wound Care Association) and Secretary General of the 2016 World Union of Wound Healing Societies (WUWHS) Congress , commented: “Nexodyn™ has shown to positively support the management of wounds not presenting signs of persistent healing, thanks to an excellent control of the bacterial load as well as to an indirect effect on wound’s microenvironment modulating the local inflammation processes thus facilitating the physiological wound healing.”
Giorgio Reiner, Chief Scientific Officer of APR, commented: "After these positive initial evidences, we are committed to further test and characterize Nexodyn™ from a clinical point of view, in order to even more provide the medical community with consistent data supporting the efficacy and safety profile of Nexodyn™, an innovative solution for wound management. This simple to administer product designed for the optimization of the wound bed preparation of chronic ulcers, associated with a favorable safety profile, addresses the unmet needs in this field.”
About APR Applied Pharma Research S.A.
APR is a Swiss, independent developer of branded, patent protected Healthcare Products. The Company identifies, develops and licenses value added products designed to address patient or consumer needs in selected therapeutical areas on a global basis. In particular, APR is currently focused on 2 (two) areas: internally developed and financed (alone or together with our co-development partners) proprietary, value added products to be licensed to healthcare companies for their commercialization, and we support third party projects by offering added value R&D services under contract and fee for service arrangements. APR has balanced pipeline of revenue generating branded products marketed in all major markets combined with development phase products at different stage of development. APR has entered into licensing and partnership agreements with pharmaceutical companies in over 70 countries worldwide with international sales on a worldwide basis. For press releases and other company information visit: www.apr.ch.