NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Ads for personal care products—from teeth whiteners to shampoos to weight-loss supplements—achieved the highest recall scores among adult readers of Spanish-language publications in the US, according to recent data from GfK MRI Starch en Español.
One ad, featuring Jennifer Aniston for Aveeno skin care, placed among the top five most-recalled ads in both Starch en Español (where it was remembered by 72% of readers) and the English-language Starch measurement (where it earned 82% recall). Weight-loss aids and skincare products also were among the most-recalled ads in both languages.
The top Spanish-language ads scored recall levels of 66% to 76%, versus 62% to 82% for the leading English-language ads. (See the end of this release for a full list of the top ads in both languages.)
The percentage of survey respondents who said they had a more favorable opinion about a marketer as the result of having seen a specific Spanish-language ad ranged from 20% to 33%.
By contrast, no ads for cars or luxury goods were among the most-recalled by Spanish-language magazine readers; but an ad for Jaguar scored #2 in English-language titles measured by Starch.
“Because the Spanish-language magazines with the most advertising revenue are geared to women or entertainment, it is not too surprising that personal care ads earn high marks,” said Mickey Galin, EVP, GfK MRI Starch Advertising Research. “These ads were not just highly recalled. They also had the ability to motivate up to one-third of survey respondents to say that they had a more favorable opinion about the advertiser as a result of having seen a particular ad.”
Starch en Español conducted online surveys with 19,036 readers of 103 Spanish-language magazine issues from May of 2013 through May of
2014, asking whether they recall having seen specific one-page ads. The results were then compared to GfK MRI Starch Advertising Research surveys with readers of English-language magazines: 688,991 respondents and 2,916 magazine issues.
Below are the most-recalled (Noted) ads in Spanish-language magazines, followed by those in English-language titles, plus any significant actions taken as a result of having seen the ads.
1) Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner. Among survey respondents who read the October 2013 issue of People en Español, 76% Noted the Garnier ad.
2) Colgate Optic White Dual Action Whitening Toothpaste. Of the 75% of readers who Noted the ad in the November 2013 issue of TV y Novelas, one-third said they had a more favorable opinion about the brand as a result of having seen the ad.
3) Colgate Optic White. Another ad for Colgate teeth whiteners in the April 2014 issue of People en Español tied with the ad in TV y Novelas for second place, having been Noted by 75% of respondents.
4) Aveeno Daily Moisturizer Lotion. Tied for third place was an ad in the October 2013 issue of SIEMPRE mujer for Aveeno featuring Aveeno brand embassador Jennifer Aniston. It was Noted by 72% of readers surveyed.
5) Pond’s Luminous Finish BB+. An ad for this skincare product in the December 2013 issue of COSMOPOLITAN EN ESPAÑOL tied with the Aveeno ad for third place, with a Noted score of 72%.
6) Potensex Male Enhancement Supplement. A direct-response ad in the October 2013 issue of COSMOPOLITAN EN ESPAÑOL for Potensex sexual performance enhancer was Noted by 66% of readers surveyed. The ad also drove 17% Noted readers to the company’s website.
7) Frutas Exoticas Weight Loss Supplement. An ad for Frutas Exoticas in the November 2013 issue of TV y Novelas was Noted by 66% of respondents, tying with the Potensex ad.
1) Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion. An English-language version of the Jennifer Aniston ad in the February 2014 issue of Redbook was tops in the genre, Noted by 82% of readers surveyed.
2) Jaguar F-Type. Noted by 77% of respondents, the ad in the April 2014 issue of Automobile helped to drive 16% of Noted readers to the automaker’s website.
3) HYDROXYCUT Reducing Aids. Of the 76% of respondents who Noted this ad in the March 24, 2014 issue of Woman’s World, 19% sought out more information about HYDROXYCUT.
4) Puerto Vallarta Mexico Tourism Promotion. Among the 76% of survey respondents who Noted this ad in the May 6, 2013 issue of The New Yorker, 22% sought more information about Puerto Vallarta and 11% visited the tourism website.
5) Linzess. An ad in the May 11, 2014, issue of Parade Magazine for the Linzess medication for irritable bowl syndrome with constipation was Noted by 62% of survey respondents.
GfK is one of the world’s leading research companies, with around 13,000 experts working to discover new insights into the way people live, think and shop, in over 100 markets, every day. GfK is constantly innovating and using the latest technologies and the smartest methodologies to give its clients the clearest understanding of the most important people in the world: their customers. In 2012, GfK’s sales amounted to €1.51 billion.