DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/578gkm/sic_modules) has announced the addition of the "SiC Modules, Devices and Substrates for Power Electronics Market" report to their offering.
PFC, PV INVERTER AND NOW RAIL APPLICATIONS ARE FUELING SiC SALES
In 2013, SiC chip business has almost reached $100m due to already well-established PFC applications that still drive large volumes of diodes and PV systems that, despite a depressed market, are the beachhead for newly SiC-powered inverter or micro-inverter line-ups. Surprisingly, train traction has adopted SiC sooner than expected because of the availability of 1.7kV full and hybrid modules that have been demonstrated and installed by Mitsubishi Electric in Japan.
Train could dynamically expand, exhibiting a >80% CAGR over 2015-2020, since we expect other rolling-stock manufacturers will quickly adopt SiC, first in metro and then in the high-speed trains. We also forecast PV inverters to keep on implementing SiC at an annual growth rate of almost 12%.
Adoption of SiC in train applications is significant in showing how SiC could play an important role in the high and very high voltage ranges (>1.7kV). We stay convinced that these voltage (and related power) ranges are exactly the place where SiC can bring added-value despite a price positioning that differs from silicon. Here savings are made at the system level, where passives and other cooling can be dramatically reduced when moving to SiC.
On the other hand, PFC will probably face more and more competition from GaN now that it is claimed to be able to compete in the 600V segment. Therefore we remain quite conservative regarding this application which may switch to Nitrides in the coming years.
This report will display the full coverage of SiC device market data, split by application to 2020.
Key Topics Covered:
- Power factor corrector market
- EV/HEV market- EV/HEV types and availability: micro, mild, full and plug in hybrid
- Market forecasts for EV/HEV, by type, in units
- Market forecasts for:
- PV inverters
- Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) market- UPS architecture
- Industrial motor AC drive market- AC drive applications
- Wind turbines
- Rail traction- Overall market
- Smart power grid- Power devices for smart-grid applications
- SiC substrate and epitaxy market- State-of-the-art in SiC crystal growth
- SiC crystal growth technique comparison table
- SiC diameter expansion history and comparison with Si, GaAs, GaN & AlN
- SiC TECHNOLOGYSiC devices
SiC power modules- Different types of power modules
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/578gkm/sic_modules