LONG BEACH, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. today released the Apple CarPlay™-compatible fourth generation AppRadio® 4 (SPH-DA120). AppRadio 4 brings together the use of cloud and device sourced content from compatible iOS devices (iPhone® 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s and iPhone 4), Android™ smartphones, and MirrorLink™ enabled smartphones, as well as feature enhanced smartphone control, voice control for Siri® Eyes Free and Google® Voice Recognition, Bluetooth® hands-free calling and audio streaming, and a new graphical user interface.
"The new AppRadio 4 embodies our idea of the connected car, providing the majority of smartphone owners the ability to utilize their devices in the car for calling, streaming music, and even controlling supported apps to enhance their driving experience,” said Ted Cardenas, vice president of marketing for the Car Electronics Division of Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.
- CarPlay Ready – With CarPlay, consumers with iPhone 5 or later, including iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and the latest version of iOS can use Siri voice control to make and receive calls, compose and respond to text messages, use Apple Maps for navigation and listen to their music libraries, podcasts and iTunes Radio. For more information about CarPlay, visit www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
- Siri Eyes Free – Users of iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5 and iPhone devices can take advantage of Siri Eyes Free functionality with a touch of the AppRadio 4 touchscreen. When activated, Siri provides voice prompts through the vehicle’s speakers, and the user’s questions and commands are received and transmitted using the external microphone provided with the AppRadio 4 unit.
- Bluetooth – To maximize the connectivity options available in today’s most popular smartphones, AppRadio 4 offers both Bluetooth hands-free calling1 and Bluetooth audio streaming and wireless control of compatible devices. It includes Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) for wireless audio streaming and Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) version 1.4 for wireless control of devices and related metadata (if available) to be viewed directly on the Pioneer touchscreen display.
- Enhanced Touchscreen User Interface – Designed with the smartphone user in mind, the AppRadio 4 touchscreen user interface (UI) provides easy access to the most commonly used features such as apps, music and calling.
- Built-in MirrorLink – MirrorLink technology enables consumers to connect compatible smartphones to AppRadio 4 (or other compatible in-dash receiver) via a USB cable to access certain music and map applications for a more convenient and safer in-car experience. Similar to AppRadio Mode, MirrorLink is integrated into AppRadio 4 and offers a vehicle-specific interface and connectivity with MirrorLink certified devices from smartphone manufacturers such as Samsung, Nokia and others.
AppRadio 4 offers a simple and clean cosmetic design utilizing minimal physical buttons on the left side of the screen for quick access by drivers, with the majority of functions and control accessible and operated through its high resolution 6.2-inch WVGA capacitive touchscreen. The capacitive touch panel is used for all functions including the app interface, music control/playback, AM/FM radio, and Bluetooth functions. A total of four connectivity cable options2, sold separately, enable connections to more than 30 different smartphone devices available in the U.S. In addition, the unit now offers the Android Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) for deeper access to files and folders on Android devices.
For increased audio performance, AppRadio 4 inherits the capabilities of Pioneer’s NEX receiver models with three sets of high volt (4V) pre-outs, 13-band graphic equalizer, auto EQ, auto time alignment, dual rear USB, and HDMI input, AM/FM tuner with RDS text information display (when available), and MOSFET 50 Watts X 4 power.
Pricing and Availability
The AppRadio 4 SPH-DA120 ($600 SRP) will begin shipping to authorized Pioneer Car Electronics dealers nationwide, including Best Buy, Crutchfield and Car Toys. To find the nearest Pioneer retailer, visit the Dealer Locator.
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. is headquartered in Long Beach, Calif., and its U.S. Web address is www.pioneerelectronics.com. Its parent company, Pioneer Corporation, is a preeminent manufacturer of high-performance audio, video and computer equipment for the home, car and business markets.
1Bluetooth functionality requires a compatible Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone. Certain Bluetooth features may not be supported by all compatible Bluetooth-enabled devices, and/or the functionality of such features may be limited in certain devices or by certain wireless carriers.
2Connectivity cables sold separately. CD-IU201N (iPhone 4s, iPhone 4), CD-IH202 (AppRadio Mode for iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5), CD-AH200C (Android), CD-MU200 (MirrorLink) and CD-IU52 (CarPlay).
CAUTION: Read the operation manual as well as all instructions and cautions provided with compatible smartphone apps before use. Become familiar with any applicable state and local laws. Pay attention to the road, limit glances to the device, and do not use any feature if it cannot be operated safely and legally in your location and driving conditions. Distracted driving may result in serious injury, including death.
PIONEER and APPRADIO are registered trademarks of Pioneer Corporation.
Apple, the Apple logo, the CarPlay logo, iPhone, and Siri are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
BLUETOOTH is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc.
MirrorLink and the MirrorLink logo are trademarks of the Car Connectivity Consortium LLC.