LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Triton Digital, a leading technology provider for the audio industry, today unveiled its monthly Ranker for July 2014, revealing the month’s 20 top streaming audio providers, as well as insights into listening trends. Overall listening continued to rise steadily in July 2014, increasing by more than 20% compared to July 2013. Streaming audio on mobile devices was the big story this month, with listening increasing by more that 35% compared to the same period last year.
“The July Ranker gives strong support to a mobile listening trend that we expect to continue and even accelerate moving forward,” said Rob Favre, CCO/GM Measurement & Analytics at Triton Digital. “As mobile devices proliferate and expand to include wearables such as the Apple Watch, streaming audio will play an important role in consumers’ experiences on those devices.”
Key findings of the July 2014 Ranker include:
- Average Active Sessions (AAS) grew significantly in July 2014, with the M-F 6A-8P daypart up 20.7% and M-SU 6A-Midnight daypart up 22.3% compared to the same period last year.
- On mobile, July 2014 saw a 37.2% increase during the M-F 6A-8P daypart, and a 35.8% increase during the M-SU 6A-Midnight daypart compared to July 2013.
- During the M-F 6A-8P daypart, mobile devices made up 68% of AAS, up from 62% in June. 37% of that listening took place on iOS and 31% took place on Android devices.
- Of the top 20 markets, Cleveland showed the largest listening gain with a 22.2% increase in AAS, followed by San Francisco (9.1%), Los Angeles (4.8%), Dallas-Fort Worth (3.6%) and Houston (1.8%).
- The Urban Contemporary format showed the largest listening gains with a 19.6% increase in AAS, followed by Sports (7.2%), Top 40 (6.8%), News/Talk (2.4%), Classic Hits (1.1%) and Country (0.8%).
Full results of the July 2014 Ranker including a list of the top streaming audio providers for the month can be found here: http://www.tritondigital.com/press-releases/triton-digital-releases-july-2014-top-20-ranker.
Triton Digital’s monthly Ranker is a listing of the top-performing digital audio stations and networks measured by the Media Rating Council (MRC) accredited Webcast Metrics® audience measurement platform. Webcast Metrics uses a proprietary platform to track audience data and convert it to audience metrics that can be easily understood by stations, publishers and advertisers. Unlike other measurement solutions, Triton’s Webcast Metrics’ information is based on census data, rather than consumer surveys, providing the most accurate information.
About Triton Digital
Triton Digital’s® (http://tritondigital.com) technology has connected audio supply to advertising demand since 2006, providing the technical backbone for the digital audio marketplace. The company’s innovative technology enables both live and on-demand publishers to build audience and revenue globally. As a pioneer in the space, Triton Digital has made that audience available programmatically for the first time, maximizing audience buying efficiency for advertisers across the world.