DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Professional Retail Store Maintenance Association (PRSM), the authority on retail, multi-site facilities management, today released its annual review of the state of retail facilities management and key trends being met by some of the industry’s leading retailers.
The report provides insight into how the retail industry is using technology to gain efficiencies in store operations, data to better manage assets from HVAC to roofing, is deploying cutting-edge sustainable business practices and technologies and is recruiting and managing talent to build the team of the future.
“The retail industry has undergone a tremendous amount of change, and if predictions are accurate, there’s much more in store in the coming five years. However, even if some experts are correct and stores continue to morph into experiential destinations, our goals will remain the same – to enhance the customer experience with every tool and technology at our disposal,” said Kirk Beaudoin, RFMP, President, 2014-15 PRSM Association Board of Directors and Facilities Manager at adidas America, Inc.
“This evolution is certainly challenging, but also provides a platform for today’s generation of facilities management professionals to help move retail towards an even brighter, more exciting future.”
Included in this year’s report are Brixmor, Dollar Tree, Gap, Nike, Staples Canada and Walgreens with support from Divisions Maintenance Group and ServiceChannel. Trending are:
- Making Retail Sustainable: Sustainability comes full circle as Staples Canada reduces, and recycles its own waste, and has turned the store into a community-wide resource. From batteries to ink and cell phones, if it’s an office product a Staples store probably recycles it in Canada.
- Energy Consumption x Zero = Zero: Walgreens brings it all together inside the industry’s first Net – Zero store. Wind, solar panels and geothermal produce all the energy a store requires to operate.
- Technology Apps Increase Efficiency: Brixmor retail properties dot the landscape across the United States, providing shopping space for a wide variety of brands. Leveraging an iPad mobile application from Divisions Maintenance Group Brixmor property managers integrated activities and “raised the bar” in efficiency.
- Building the Team of the Future: If the future really is here, it’s partly because FM professionals created it. Dollar Tree and Gap are blending people, process and technology in response to today’s challenges, while building the team of tomorrow.
- Data Mining/Data Management: When Nike needed information, ServiceChannel brought data. Mix in a bona fide business analyst and the results surprised the entire organization and even the most seasoned FM professionals.
The Report was released today at the PRSM Association Mid-Year Conference and will be a topic of discussion at the 2014 Canadian Conference, in October. Held each fall, these events provide strategic direction and tactical guidance for the retail industry, including retail facilities professionals. Held each spring, PRSM Association National Conference is the largest, annual gathering of retail facilities professionals.
About the Professional Retail Store Maintenance® Association (PRSM)
PRSM Association, the authority on Retail and Multi-site Facilities Management, is the leading membership organization for retail facilities and vendor professionals. PRSM empowers the Retail Industry facilities management with best practices, benchmarking, education, discussion forums and trusted partnerships. Chartered in 1995, and with more than 950 member companies, the PRSM community values are founded on a spirit of innovation, resourcefulness, the quest for knowledge and ethical business relationships. Members depend on PRSM to help them achieve greater success and a competitive advantage through quality programs and resources.
Visit prsm.com for more information.