DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Former United States Securities and Exchange Commission attorney Willie Briscoe and the securities litigation firm of Powers Taylor LLP are investigating potential claims against the Board of Directors of Peoples Federal Bancshares; Inc. (“Peoples Federal”) (NasdaqCM: PEOP) concerning the acquisition by Independent Bank Corp. (“Independent”). The agreement provides that 60% of outstanding Peoples Federal shares will be exchanged for Independent shares at a fixed exchange ratio of .5523 of an Independent share for each Peoples Federal Bancshares, Inc. share and the remaining 40% of outstanding Peoples Federal Bancshares, Inc. shares will be exchanged for $21.00 per share in cash. Based upon Independent's $36.17 per share closing price on August 4, 2014 the transaction is valued at approximately $130.6 million. The transaction is intended to qualify as a tax-free reorganization for federal income tax purposes and to provide a tax-free exchange for Peoples Federal Bancshares, Inc. shareholders who receive Independent shares. Peoples Federal Bancshares, Inc. shareholders will be able to elect between receiving cash or Independent shares, subject to proration and allocation so that 60% of outstanding Peoples Federal Bancshares, Inc. shares are exchanged for Independent stock and 40% exchanged for cash.
If you are an affected investor, and you want to learn more about the investigation or if you have information that you believe would be helpful to our investigation of the fairness of the proposed transaction, contact Willie Briscoe at The Briscoe Law Firm, PLLC, (214) 239-4568, or via email at WBriscoe@TheBriscoeLawFirm.com, or Patrick Powers at Powers Taylor LLP, toll free (877) 728-9607, via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. There is no cost or fee to you.
The investigation centers on whether Peoples Federal’s Board of Directors is acting in the shareholders’ best interests, whether the board considered alternatives to the acquisition, and whether the board has employed an adequate process to review and act on the proposed transaction.
The Briscoe Law Firm, PLLC is a full service business litigation and shareholder rights advocacy firm with more than 20 years of experience in complex litigation and transactional matters.
Powers Taylor LLP is a boutique litigation law firm that handles a variety of complex business litigation matters, including claims of investor and stockholder fraud, shareholder oppression, shareholder derivative suits, and security class actions.