NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS), the nation’s largest retail bookseller and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, today announced even more special events in all stores nationwide during the week of August 4 as part of Get Pop-Cultured with Barnes & Noble, a month-long pop culture celebration. During the week of August 4 customers are invited to their local Barnes & Noble to celebrate the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with a Jr. Ninja Training Academy event for kids ages 5-10 featuring exciting activities and crafts. Customers should visit www.bn.com/GetPop-Cultured for information on when these events will be held at their local Barnes & Noble. Additionally, the hugely popular Get Pop-Cultured campaign closes out with a special Page & Screen Weekend, giving customers the opportunity to celebrate some of the hottest properties in pop culture to appear on both page and screen with fantastic giveaways, prizes and author appearances at Barnes & Noble stores across the country.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Activities – Week of August 4
After numerous adaptations, book series and merchandise spinoffs, America’s favorite “heroes in a half shell” are back with the August 8 release of Michael Bay's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. To celebrate, Barnes & Noble is hosting Ninja activities for children ages 5-10 during the week of August 4 with exciting crafts, plus a fun-filled Ninja training event, where participants will be trained as Ninjas and receive a special ‘Certificate of Ninja Training Completion.’ For more information on when this unique and exciting event will be held at your local Barnes & Noble, visit www.bn.com/GetPop-Cultured.
Page & Screen Weekend – August 9-10
The Get Pop-Cultured campaign concludes with a celebration of some of the hottest properties in pop culture. The Hobbit, Doctor Who, The Fault in Our Stars, The Maze Runner, A Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead are just a few of the great properties that have appeared on both page and screen and this fun-filled weekend celebrates the relationship between books, movies and TV shows. Page & Screen Weekend will feature exciting giveaways (limited quantities available) in Barnes & Noble stores across the country, including A Game of Thrones “Learn to Speak Dothraki” posters and booklets, Doctor Who posters, Star Wars posters and buttons and a Walking Dead book sampler. Other great giveaways include Longmire, The Fault in Our Stars, Harry Potter and Lego posters, as well as a Divergent author Q&A mini-poster. Stores nationwide will also have exciting Page & Screen prizes to be given away during various raffles, trivia and contests to be held at each store. Prizes include a Doctor Who lanyard and mini-kit, a Star Wars Jedi Academy poster and a valuable Penguin tote bag full of leading page & screen-related books including This Is Where I Leave You, The Selected Works of TS Spivet and The Last Ship, plus other bestselling titles.
Additional giveaways (limited quantities available) around upcoming and recently released popular movies and TV shows adapted from bestselling books include:
- Ultimate John Green Trivia Challenge: After much anticipation, John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars recently made it to the silver screen with rave reviews and box office success. To celebrate the movie’s success and to introduce fans to all of his great work, Barnes & Noble stores nationwide will host an exciting Ultimate John Green Trivia Challenge during Page & Screen Weekend. Die-hard fans can compete for a special John Green prize pack, which includes a t-shirt, wristband and decals. There is one prize pack per store, and it will be awarded to the winner of the Ultimate John Green Trivia Challenge. Fans should contact their local Barnes & Noble for additional details and event timing.
- Maze Runner: All stores will have an exclusive Maze Runner movie scene poster to give away in celebration of the September launch of the highly anticipated movie adaptation.
- If I Stay: Author Gayle Forman has been hailed as one of the next big voices in realistic teen fiction and Barnes & Noble stores nationwide will celebrate the release of the If I Stay movie with a poster giveaway.
- Star Wars Rebels: Barnes & Noble stores nationwide are building excitement for the upcoming Stars Wars Rebels TV series, considered to be the next evolution of Star Wars stories, with a double-sided poster giveaway.
And to build even more excitement for Page & Screen Weekend select stores across the country will feature author appearances and booksignings, including:
- Kevin Smith & Jason Mewes at the Grove in Los Angeles, CA: Smith and Mewes are best known for their popular “Jay & Silent Bob” movies and will appear at Barnes & Noble at The Grove to sign copies of their new book Jay & Silent Bob's Blueprints for Destroying Everything.
- Jonathan Tropper in Santa Monica, CA: Tropper is the author of the bestselling This Is Where I Leave You, coming to theaters in September 2014 with an all-star cast. Additionally, all Barnes & Noble stores nationwide will have limited quantities of This Is Where I Leave You movie posters as giveaways.
- Craig Johnson in Billings, MT: Craig Johnson is the award-winning author of The Cold Dish, Death Without Company, and Kindness Goes Unpunished and his series based around the Sheriff John Longmire series have been adapted into a popular A&E TV series.
For a full list of author appearances, and for more information on events, giveaways and prizes at your local Barnes & Noble, visit www.bn.com/GetPop-Cultured.
Get a Page & Screen NOOK Book® for only $4.99
During Page & Screen Weekend, August 9-10, customers can visit any Barnes & Noble store to purchase select Page & Screen-related NOOK Books for only $4.99. Titles include bestselling eBooks that have been adapted for the silver screen including The Fault in Our Stars, The Book Thief, Unbroken, The Hunger Games, World War Z, The Maze Runner, plus many more. Customers should inform any bookseller at checkout which eBooks they have selected and they will receive an access code on their receipt and to their email address, which they can redeem at BN.com/redeem to add the eBooks to their NOOK Library™. For the full list of discounted Page & Screen eBooks and for additional terms and conditions, customers should visit their local Barnes & Noble during Page & Screen Weekend and speak to a bookseller.
Get Pop-Cultured Sweepstakes from NOOK
Customers can enter the Get Pop-Cultured NOOK Sweepstakes for a chance to win a $1,000 Barnes & Noble Gift Card and a deluxe Warner Bros. VIP Studio Tour for two in Los Angeles, CA, plus many other great prizes. Already, tens of thousands of Barnes & Noble customers have entered to win these great prizes, and customers still have time to get to their local store for a chance to win. To enter, visit the NOOK Boutique™ at any Barnes & Noble store anytime between July 18 and August 10 and look for the specially created Get Pop-Cultured NOOK App™ on the displayed NOOK devices.
Get Pop-Cultured on Social Media
Get Pop-Cultured with Barnes & Noble has generated lots of buzz on social media since its launch in July, and fans should follow Barnes & Noble on Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr, and like Barnes & Noble on Facebook for the very latest information on Page & Screen Weekend. To build even more excitement for Page & Screen Weekend, Barnes & Noble is hosting a special Social Media Sweepstakes. To enter the sweepstakes, customers should take a photo of the book they most want to see turned into a movie and then post the photo to Instagram or Twitter using the hashtags #getpopcultured and #pagescreensweeps. The grand prize for the Page & Screen Weekend Social Media Sweepstakes is a bundle worth over $650, which includes Dr. Who: The Vault, Song of Ice and Fire Series (A Game of Thrones), The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season DVD, plus many other great books and DVDs from properties including Harry Potter, The Maze Runner, Divergent and The Giver.
About Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products. The Company operates 661 Barnes & Noble bookstores in 50 states, and one of the Web’s largest e-commerce sites, BN.com (www.bn.com). Its NOOK Media LLC subsidiary is a leader in the emerging digital reading and digital education markets. The NOOK digital business offers award-winning NOOK® products and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content through the NOOK Store® (www.nook.com), while Barnes & Noble College Booksellers, LLC operates 700 bookstores serving over five million students and faculty members at colleges and universities across the United States.
General information on Barnes & Noble, Inc. can be obtained by visiting the Company's corporate website: www.barnesandnobleinc.com.