EXTON, Pa.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--ThingWorx™, a PTC (Nasdaq:PTC) business and leading Internet of Things (IoT) platform provider, today announced the availability of ThingWorx® Platform v5.0. ThingWorx was the first software platform designed to build and run the applications of the connected world. With today’s announcement, ThingWorx extends its leadership position by announcing the ThingWorx v5.0 rapid application development platform.
The new version of the ThingWorx Platform continues to enhance developer productivity and adds a unique federated server deployment option that allows for cloud, on-premise, hybrid, and on-device deployments. Organizations that use ThingWorx technology will be able to quickly build, deploy, and scale Internet of Things (IoT) applications to millions of devices across a globally distributed infrastructure.
The research firm IDC’s report, “Worldwide Internet of Things 2013-2020 Forecast: Billions of Things, Trillions of Dollars,1” estimates the installed base of the IoT will reach 30 billion units worldwide by 2020, with revenue expected to reach $8.9 trillion by the same year. In a fast moving world, companies that are developing IoT applications need a development platform with a suite of tools and features to help them rapidly create applications that connect people, systems and the physical world of things in order to continually create business value.
“The Internet of Things provides a huge opportunity from two points of view: increasing revenue and developing deeper relationships with customers. Any company today with an IoT strategy must possess an application development platform that is quickly deployable, easy to use, and able to scale to harness the vast opportunity in the IoT,” said Carrie MacGillivray, program vice president, mobile services & IoT at IDC.
The ThingWorx Platform v5.0 offers the following capabilities:
- Flexible deployment options. Permits massive scaling on a global scale. The ThingWorx server federation capability allows deployment in the cloud, on premise, hybrid or even on-device. This means companies can put applications and analytics right at the location where they are best suited for performance, reliability, autonomy and security.
- Next-generation ThingWorx patented AlwaysOn™ Protocol. Delivers the industry’s leading efficient and secure communications protocol including low latency bi-directional communications that can be tuned for minimized power consumption and bandwidth usage to significantly reduce operating costs and total cost of ownership. In keeping with the theme of deployment anywhere, ThingWorx has also introduced various software development kits (SDKs) that enable developers to rapidly create edge devices in their favorite programming environments such as Java, .NET, C, iOS and Android.
- ThingWorx MatrixMultitenancy™ Security Model. A novel approach that enables simple, secure visibility and access control to devices and information that directly maps to today’s complex business ecosystems. Customers, dealer networks, third party service organizations and internal users can be given the proper permissions to accomplish tasks while protecting sensitive data from users who should not have access.
“We are excited to launch the ThingWorx Application Platform v5.0,” said Russ Fadel, president, ThingWorx. “ThingWorx is already recognized as the standard for IoT developer productivity. This latest release of the platform establishes a new standard for deployability and makes it easier for companies to optimize for performance, autonomy, cost and privacy. ThingWorx continues to help companies unlock the power of the IoT by enabling them to generate business value through apps that offer insight into real-time data of a product’s performance.”
- ThingWorx Platform
- ThingWorx Partner Ecosystem
- PTC Acquires ThingWorx – perspectives
- PTC Live Newsroom
About ThingWorx, a PTC Business
ThingWorx™, a PTC (Nasdaq:PTC) business, provides the first platform designed to efficiently build and run the applications of today’s connected world. ThingWorx’s model-based design and search-based intelligence simplifies application development efforts by minimizing cost, and risk while accelerating time to value. The ThingWorx® platform combines the key functionality of Web 2.0, search, and social collaboration, and applies it to the world of “things”, including connected products, machines, sensors, systems, and industrial equipment. Businesses use the ThingWorx platform to rapidly deliver innovative applications and connected solutions across markets ranging from manufacturing, energy, and food, to Machine-to-Machine (M2M) remote monitoring and service, as well as in emerging Internet of Things applications, including smart cities, smart grid, agriculture, and transportation. For more information, please visit our website at www.thingworx.com and our blog at www.thingworx.com/blog or follow us on Twitter at @ThingWorx.
PTC, ThingWorx, and the ThingWorx logo and are trademarks or registered trademarks of PTC Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.
1 IDC "Worldwide Internet of Things (IoT) 2013–2020 Forecast: Billions of Things, Trillions of Dollars" Doc #243661 Oct 2013