PITTSBURGH--(BUSINESS WIRE)--PPG Industries (NYSE: PPG) outlines its progress toward the company’s 2020 sustainability goals in its 2013 Corporate Sustainability Report, which is now available online at www.ppg.com/csr.
In 2013, the company increased energy efficiency; improved employee safety, health and well-being; and strengthened its pipeline of sustainable new products. Highlights of the company’s progress last year include:
- Achieved one of the lowest injury and illness rates in company history, decreasing the rate by 12 percent;
- Significantly reduced energy intensity and greenhouse-gas-emissions intensity due to initiatives including the separation of its former commodity chemicals;
- Reduced air emissions, water consumption and water discharge;
- Achieved 21 percent of sales from sustainable products;
- Implemented wellness programs in more than 115 PPG manufacturing sites around the world;
- Increased engagement initiatives in PPG communities; and
- Distributed more than $5.3 million in charitable funds globally.
“PPG’s values and history of sustainable business practices are reflected in our actions and embedded in the guiding principles that shape the company’s commitments to customers, employees, shareholders, neighbors and suppliers,” said Jane Valenta, PPG vice president of environment, health and safety. “Through the efforts of our employees globally, PPG today is a stronger, more sustainable business that is positioned to deliver increased value for all stakeholders.”
PPG: BRINGING INNOVATION TO THE SURFACE.(TM)
PPG Industries' vision is to continue to be the world’s leading coatings and specialty materials company. Through leadership in innovation, sustainability and color, PPG helps customers in industrial, transportation, consumer products, and construction markets and aftermarkets to enhance more surfaces in more ways than does any other company. Founded in 1883, PPG has global headquarters in Pittsburgh and operates in nearly 70 countries around the world. Net sales in 2013 were $15.1 billion. PPG shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol:PPG). For more information, visit www.ppg.com and follow @PPGIndustries on Twitter.
Bringing innovation to the surface is a trademark of PPG Industries Ohio, Inc.