NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Univision Deportes delivered strong results with its sports content across media platforms in the first quarter of 2014 delivering double digit growth in key metrics on Univision Deportes Network (UDN) and UniMás.
“Univision Deportes’ ratings growth speaks to the quality of our sports content across platforms,” said Juan Carlos Rodriguez, president of Univision Deportes. “We know what Hispanic sports fans want and we deliver by giving them the content that they can’t get anywhere else including sports highlights, news and analysis around the sports teams they love the most.”
UDN was also the No.1 Spanish-language sports network in 1Q14 in primetime among Total Viewers and Adults 18-49:
- UDN bested ESPN Deportes (ESPND) by +40% and FOX Deportes (FOXD) by +8% among Total Viewers in primetime.
- UDN bested ESPND by +54% and FOXD by +14% among Adults 18-49 in primetime.
In the first quarter of 2014, Univision networks aired the top 5 most-viewed soccer matches on all TV among Total Viewers and Adults 18-49, regardless of language.
In fact, in 1Q 2014, among Total Viewers and Adults 18-49, UCI
- 9 of the top 10 most-viewed soccer telecasts
- 14 of top 15 soccer telecasts
- 34 of the top 50 soccer telecasts
Univision Networks’ coverage of Liga MX (LMX) delivered more viewers than NBC’s coverage of the English Premier League (EPL).
- LMX on UniMás bested EPL on NBC by +6% among Adults 18-49, and LMX on Univision bested EPL on NBC by +5%.
UniMás and Univision Deportes Network (UDN) both posted impressive growth with LMX coverage:
- On UniMás, viewership for Liga MX increased by +21% for Total Viewers and +20% for Adults 18-49 vs. prior year, boosted by strong performance of the Chivas team.
- LMX on UniMás averaged 834,000 Total Viewers and 476,000 Adults 18-49 per match in 1Q14, the most-viewed quarter for LMX on UniMás since 2Q12, and the most-viewed 1Q of LMX on UniMás since 1Q07.
- On UDN, ratings increased +111% with Total Viewers and +100% with Adults 18-49, and the net was the top cable network for LMX, besting ESPN Deportes by +52% with Total Viewers and +46% with Adults 18-49.
- LMX on UDN averaged 252,000 Total Viewers and 156,000 Adults 18-49 per match in 1Q14, the most-viewed 1Q for LMX on UDN.
On the cable front, UDN ranked as the fastest-growing cable network in 1Q14 in primetime among Adults 18-49:
- UDN was up +122% with Total Viewers and +119% with Adults 18-49 in primetime vs. prior year.
- UDN was up +136% with Total Viewers and +122% with Adults 18-49 in total day year over year.
In 1Q14, UDN also drove high engagement on Twitter. UDN programming had more than 2X Tweets per unique (3.47) than that of ESPND (1.71) and FOXD (1.68) (source: Nielsen).
Source: The Nielsen Company, NPM, NPMH, L+SD data. Fastest growing based on percent delivery increase.
About Univision Communications Inc.
Univision Communications Inc. (UCI) is the leading media company serving Hispanic America. The Company, a leading content creator in the U.S., includes Univision Network, one of the top five networks in the U.S. regardless of language and the most-watched Spanish-language broadcast television network in the country reaching approximately 96% of U.S. Hispanic television households; UniMás, a leading Spanish-language broadcast television network reaching approximately 89% of U.S. Hispanic television households; Univision Cable Networks, including Galavisión, the country’s leading Spanish-language cable network, as well as Univision tlnovelas, a 24-hour cable network dedicated to novelas, Univision Deportes Network, a 24-hour cable network dedicated to sports, ForoTV, a 24-hour Spanish-language cable network dedicated to news, and an additional suite of six cable offerings - De Película, De Película Clásico, Bandamax, Ritmoson, Telehit and Distrito Comedia; Univision Television Group, which owns and/or operates 62 television stations in major U.S. Hispanic markets and Puerto Rico; Univision Radio, the leading Hispanic radio group which owns and/or operates 68 radio stations in 16 of the top 25 U.S. Hispanic markets and Puerto Rico, as well as Uforia, the leading Hispanic digital music service; UVideos, the first bilingual digital video network serving Hispanic America; an Interactive network of online and mobile apps and products including Univision.com, which continues to be the No. 1 most-visited Spanish-language website among U.S. online Hispanics, and Univision Partner Group, a specialized advertising and publisher network. UCI’s assets also include a minority stake in El Rey Network, a new 24-hour English-language network founded by maverick filmmaker Robert Rodriguez, and a joint venture with Disney/ABC Television Network for Fusion, a news, pop culture and satire TV and digital network. Headquartered in New York City, UCI has television network operations in Miami and television and radio stations and sales offices in major cities throughout the United States. For more information, please visit Univision.net.