AUSTIN, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Captivate is almost here! Austin’s newest digital entertainment conference will debut in style with not one but three outstanding keynotes: game industry legend Warren Spector, serial entrepreneur Gary Hoover, and “international genius” whurley.
Captivate will be held at the Palmer Events Center Sunday, October 6 through Tuesday, October 8. The conference covers all areas of digital entertainment (including film, music, games, and mobile) and focuses on three main themes: collaboration, convergence, and creativity. Attendees will be able to choose from more than 100 sessions.
Warren Spector / Disney Interactive, Junction Point, Ion Storm
- Keynote title: Leadership in the Arts
- Date/time: Sunday, October 6; 10:00 - 11:00 a.m.
- Quote: “Captivate honors the creative development community, celebrating their contributions to the digital age. . . . People often say ‘Keep Austin Weird.’ I say ‘Keep Austin Creative.’ And Captivate, with its many-media focus, with games at the heart of things, is ideally suited to take our creative chops – and maybe our weirdness – to a whole new level.”
William Hurley (“whurley”) / Chaotic Moon
- Keynote title: Innovation Creates Opportunity
- Date/time: Monday, October 7; 10:00 - 11:00 a.m.
- Quote: “If you want to do anything innovative, collaboration is the key. You have to stretch outside of yourself. You have to get input from other industries and cross-pollinate to make anything truly exciting happen. That’s where Austin comes in: We get encouragement here—real connections. I hope to see that kind of collaboration at Captivate—the same that is woven into the fabric of this city.”
Gary Hoover / Bigwig Games, Bookstop, Hoover’s
- Keynote title: 8 Keys to Creating & Building Lasting Enterprises & Fulfilling Lives
- Date/time: Tuesday, October 8; 10:00 - 11:00 a.m.
- Quote: “I’m excited to speak at Captivate, because all of my startups have been about making life more interesting and engaging for people.”
In addition to the Spector, Hoover, and whurley keynotes, the 100+ Captivate speakers include:
- Jeri Ellsworth (President, Technical Illusions)—entrepreneur and self-taught computer chip designer who will discuss emerging platforms and demonstrate her augmented reality glasses on the show floor
- Debora Duckett (Owner, dB Talent)—voiceover talent agent who will lead an interactive discussion focusing voiceover contract definitions and rates
- Wendy Day (Founder, SlavesNoMore.com)—artist advocate who has helped countless musicians get out from under oppressive recording contracts and take charge of their careers—who will lead a session on making money as an artist
- Mark Bristol (Writer & Cinematic Director, City Interactive)—storyboard artist, music video director, and game art director, and screenwriter—who will focus on one of the conference’s main themes: convergence
- Randall Ryan (Co-Founder, HamsterBall Studios)—composer, sound designer, and voiceover director who will discuss voice acting and storytelling
- Gordon Walton (President Art & Craft Entertainment)—veteran game designer and producer who will discuss forming an independent studio
- Bears Fonte (Director of Programming, Austin Film Festival)—screenwriter and filmmaker who will lead a discussion on the changing face of indie film
- Four ticket packages ranging from $175 (squire) to $400 (nobility)
- Events for all badge holders (job fair, tech music night, game jam, portfolio review, crowdfunding “fast pitch,” and a “warlords meet minions” networking event)
- VIP events for nobility badge holders (patio party, exhibitor pre-show) round out the festivities
- Special events for sensei, mystic, and nobility badge holders (targeted networking events, start-up meeting, academia meetup, creative alliances meetup, and “jump start your start-up” meetup)
- Four competitions involving multimedia (student-only), film production, game development, music creation with cash prizes
- Veteran keynote speakers Warren Spector, Gary Hoover, and William Hurley (“whurley”)
- 12 tracks covering the entire spectrum of digital entertainment (art & animation, audio, business, design, indie film & serious games, leadership, marketing, mobile, programming, startup, storytelling & narrative, and student)
- 120 sessions conducted by 150 speakers incorporating practical advice, interactivity, and hands-on workshops
- Conveniently held between both Austin City Limits Music Festival weekends; visitors may grab an ACL badge as well and hear the best music around!
About the Captivate Conference and Expo
Captivate Conference and Expo is geared toward small to medium sized creative and technology companies interested in learning about the future of digital entertainment and new technologies–and in building advanced leadership skills for experienced business professionals and startup entrepreneurs. The conference is a full-featured event—complete with an expo floor showcasing technologies and tools for those who want to break into the film, music, game, and mobile industries. Other consumer-related goods will be on sale on the expo floor—providing opportunities for entrepreneurs to get their start. Captivate boasts a robust conference programming schedule, a hands-on technology expo, and exciting special events. Make sure to visit the Captivate website for the latest updates.