DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/b89q75/epicast_report) has announced the addition of the "EpiCast Report: Type 2 Diabetes - Epidemiology Forecast To 2022" report to their offering.
Type 2 diabetes, formerly known as non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus or adult-onset diabetes mellitus, is a chronic disorder of glucose equilibrium and results from the body's inability to make use of available insulin along with relative insulin deficiency (WHO, 2013).
The condition is characterized by excess production of glucose by liver cells along with impaired insulin secretion which leads to an increased blood and urine glucose level. In addition, the disease leads to steady decline in the beta cells of the pancreas, mainly affecting the metabolism of muscle cells, liver cells and fat cells (Camacho et al., 2007).
Type 2 diabetes constitutes approximately 90% of all diabetes cases around the world, with older age, family history of diabetes, obesity and physical inactivity being the major causes; type 1 diabetes and gestational diabetes constitute the remaining 10% of the cases (Camacho et al., 2007; CDC, 2011d; IDF, 2013).
Diabetes is one of the most common non-communicable diseases worldwide and is an escalating public health problem globally, with an estimated 347 million people living with diabetes worldwide (CDC, 2011d; IDF, 2013). Globally, the incidence and prevalence of diabetes are expected to continue to increase due to various factors, such as population growth, aging, urbanization, and the increasing prevalence of risk factors like obesity, unhealthy dietary habits and physical inactivity.
The World Health Organization's (WHO) estimates for 2010 show that globally, approximately 80% of all diabetes-related deaths occur in low- and middle-income countries, and that diabetes will likely be the seventh-leading cause of death in the world by 2030 (WHO, 2011; WHO, 2013).
This report provides an overview of the risk factors, comorbidities and global trends for type 2 diabetes in the 10 major markets (10MM) (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Japan, Brazil, China, and India).
The report also includes a 10-year epidemiological forecast of the diagnosed prevalent cases of type 2 diabetes segmented by sex, age (in five-year increments beginning at age 20 years and ending at age =85 years) and major comorbidities of type 2 diabetes (obesity, hypertension and dyslipidemia) in the diagnosed prevalent pool.
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/b89q75/epicast_report
About Research and Markets
Research and Markets is the world's leading source for international market research reports and market data. We provide you with the latest data on international and regional markets, key industries, the top companies, new products and the latest trends.