BAAR, Switzerland--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Veeam Software:
Click to Tweet: 85% of SMBs Experiencing Problems with Backup and Recovery, Veeam Survey Finds
Veeam® Software, innovative provider of backup, replication and virtualization management solutions for VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V, today announced the results of its first SMB Virtualization Data Protection Report. The report is designed to explore the impact of virtualization on SMBs’ data protection, backup and recovery strategies in the same manner as Veeam’s established Virtualization Data Protection Report for Enterprises. The independent survey of 500 SMBs across the USA and Europe found that they are experiencing significant issues with the cost, complexity and lack of capabilities of their data protection for virtual environments. In particular, 85% of SMBs are experiencing cost-related challenges with backup and recovery, 83% with lack of capabilities and 80% with complexity. This means there is a maximum of 15% of SMBs that currently have no issues with data protection. Other key findings were:
- Recovery of SMBs’ virtual servers is only a little faster than physical servers, at 4 hours 21 minutes and 4 hours 51 minutes respectively.
- Recovery of individual files such as emails, takes up to 12 hours 8 minutes. This may be because 62% of SMBs often have to recover more than needed to retrieve a single file or application item.
- 67% of SMBs’ backup tools use agents, which can add to complexity: 76% of those SMBs encounter problems such as difficulty managing agents, slow performance and both backup and recovery failing too often.
- 63% of SMBs believe their backup and recovery tools will become less effective as the amount of data and servers in their organization grows.
- 41% of SMBs stated that downtime in the event of an IT failure costs $150,000 or more per hour: meaning that outages can cost these organizations $600,000 or more based on the recovery times given.
- More than 1 in 6 (17%) recoveries of backed-up machines cause SMBs problems, increasing recovery times and the cost of downtime. This is not surprising considering only 8% are tested.
- Currently, an average of 33% of SMBs’ virtual infrastructure is not backed-up.
- 55% of SMBs are planning to change their backup tool for virtual servers by 2014.
“More and more, SMBs are being subjected to the same IT challenges and business pressures as large enterprises,” said Ratmir Timashev, President and CEO of Veeam. “As such, any disruption to their IT infrastructure can have severe consequences. This is why it’s particularly worrying that the vast majority of SMBs reported cost, complexity and capability challenges with backup and recovery. When you also consider that 1 in 6 recoveries simply don’t work, it’s clear that the issue of data protection is a ticking time bomb in the SMB community.”
85% of SMBs identified cost-related challenges with their backup and recovery of virtual environments, including: high ongoing management costs (51%), expensive licensing models (48%) and backups either requiring or using too much storage (44%).
83% reported capability-based challenges, including: backups taking too long (40%), recovery taking too long (34%, suggesting that the majority are happy with 4 hours’ recovery time), difficulty recovering virtual servers (25%) and file- and application-level recovery being too difficult (22%).
Lastly, 80% of SMBs are facing complexity-related challenges with their data protection, including: backups needing ongoing management (52%), too many virtual servers to backup (35%) and backup tools being difficult to configure and use (32%).
At the same time, SMBs are looking to solve these issues. 55% are planning to change their backup tool for virtual serves in this period, with the average time to change being only 10 months. The reasons given to replace their current tools include Total Cost of Ownership (46%), complexity (44%), and lack of capabilities such as failure to meet Recovery Time Objectives (30%) and Recovery Point Objectives (21%). This is in tandem with a growth in virtualization. While they currently form 52% of the IT infrastructure, virtual servers are expected to form 63% within 2 years. This may also increase the amount of servers that are protected. Currently, 67% of the virtual environment is backed-up, meaning that almost a third of SMBs’ virtual infrastructure is unprotected.
“Virtualization has been crucial in giving SMBs IT capabilities that can transform their business,” said Ratmir Timashev. “However, virtualization is capable of much more than simply increasing the scale of IT infrastructures. If SMBs can recognize and address the issues they face with data protection there are a whole host of more advanced techniques to take advantage of, thanks to the scalability and speed virtualization offers. For example, previously unattainable techniques such as replication are now within the reach of SMBs, allowing them to significantly reduce downtime and the associated costs in the event of a disaster. E-discovery, currently too expensive for 65% of SMBs, is another task that can be made more affordable and accessible by allowing faster, simpler and more reliable recovery of individual emails or other files. We have only begun to scratch the surface of virtualization: adapting their data protection strategies to reflect this will allow SMBs to reap all the benefits it can provide.”
About the Survey:
Vanson Bourne, an independent market research organization, conducted an online survey in November and December 2012 of 500 SMBs across the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, and France that employ between 250 and 1,000 people. Download the full report at http://www.veeam.com/smbsurvey.
About Veeam Software
Veeam® is Modern Data Protection™. We believe today’s IT requirements have changed and that “3C” legacy backup problems—high costs, increased complexity and missing capabilities—are no longer acceptable for any organization. Veeam provides powerful, easy-to-use and affordable solutions that are Built for Virtualization™ and the cloud—a perfect fit for the modern datacenter.
Veeam Backup & Replication™ is VMware backup, Hyper-V backup, recovery and replication. This #1 VM Backup™ solution helps organizations meet RPOs and RTOs, save time, eliminate risks and dramatically reduce capital and operational costs. Veeam Backup Management Suite™ combines Veeam Backup & Replication and Veeam ONE™ in a single integrated solution to protect virtualization investments, increase administrator productivity and help mitigate daily management risks. Veeam Management Pack™ (MP) extends enterprise monitoring to VMware through Microsoft System Center. Veeam also provides free tools for the virtualization community.
Learn more by visiting http://www.veeam.com.
Web Links Referenced in this Release:
- Veeam Software: http://www.veeam.com
- VMware backup: http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esx-backup.html
- Hyper-V backup: http://www.veeam.com/microsoft-hyper-v-server-backup-recovery-replication.html
- Virtualization management via Microsoft System Center: http://www.veeam.com/mp
- Virtualization management via HP Operations Manager: http://www.veeam.com/spi
- VM Backup: http://www.veeam.com/vm-backup-recovery-replication-software.html
- Free virtualization tools: http://www.veeam.com/free-virtualization-software-vmware-hyper-v.html
- SMB Virtualization Data Protection Report: http://www.veeam.com/smbsurvey
- Virtualization Data Protection Report for Enterprises: http://www.veeam.com/survey