NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Bloomberg New Energy Finance, the leading provider of independent insight, data and news on the transformation of the energy sector, today announced its selection of the 2013 New Energy Pioneers. The winners were recognized on stage at the sixth annual Bloomberg New Energy Finance Summit in New York City.
This year’s winners (listed in full below) represent a broad range of sectors including bioenergy, energy efficiency, digital energy, solar and water. By rewarding game-changing innovators, Bloomberg New Energy Finance hopes to highlight the speed of change in the sectors it serves.
The awards program, now in its fourth year, selects ten New Energy Pioneers each year. This year the independent panel of industry experts selected the winners from more than 200 candidates from around the world, assessing them against three criteria: innovation, demonstrated momentum and potential global scale.
Michael Liebreich, Chief Executive of Bloomberg New Energy Finance, said: “Tough times make for good entrepreneurs, and this is definitely what we are seeing in this year’s New Energy Pioneers. Once again we need to thank the judges, who had to winnow down a strong field to just ten winners. We wish them all luck in the coming years.”
Gil Forer, Ernst & Young’s Global Cleantech leader, added “These entrepreneurs and companies represent the technology and business model innovation which will enable the transformation to a more resource efficient and low carbon economy. Congratulations to all of them.”
Previous New Energy Pioneers have made great strides in their respective sectors. The 2012 winner Clean Power Finance for example, just announced it received a third round of funding for $37 million. CEO Nat Kreamer said of winning last year's award: "Bloomberg is a globally recognized brand, and the New Energy Pioneers program provides important recognition and validation of technologies and business models like ours that have the potential to dramatically alter the status quo of various industries and spur investment to a new level."
The 2013 New Energy Pioneers are:
- Advantix Systems provides an innovative, energy efficient, air conditioning system that cools, dehumidifies and disinfects the air using 30-80% less energy than conventional alternatives.
- BuildingIQ optimizes energy use in commercial buildings through an advanced building energy management system, providing a significant improvement on current solutions in the market.
- d.light design manufactures and distributes solar lighting and power products targeting the 1.3 billion people globally without access to reliable electricity.
- Draker’s hardware, software and services monitor PV systems, provide detailed information on energy production, allowing performance and maintenance optimization.
- EcoNation is the inventor of a smart daylight technology, which integrates with a building’s lighting system to produce measurable energy savings. Its financial model enables immediate savings to be made without up-front investment.
- Ecosphere Technologies provides an ozone-based, non-chemical water treatment and recycling technology for oil & gas companies conducting hydraulic fracturing operations around the world.
- Harvest Power designs, builds, owns and operates management systems and technologies that produce renewable energy and high value organic compost-based soils and fertilizers.
- Joule has pioneered a ’helioculture platform’ that directly and continuously converts sunlight and waste CO2 into renewable, drop-in fuels (ethanol and diesel), as well as chemicals.
- Opower’s consumer interaction platform connects home energy users with utilities, thermostats and appliances, as well as national retailers and other energy users, giving them control over their energy use, and highlighting cost-saving opportunities.
- Whitewater Technologies provides network management and water quality monitoring solutions to utilities, industrial companies, and engineering consulting firms.
Bloomberg New Energy Finance’s New Energy Pioneers program is supported and partnered by Ernst & Young. For more information on Ernst & Young, visit: http://www.ey.com/cleantech.
For more information on the New Energy Pioneers, visit: http://about.bnef.com/events-awards/new-energy-pioneers/.
For more information on the Bloomberg New Energy Finance Summit, visit: http://about.bnef.com/summit/.
About Bloomberg New Energy Finance
Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) is the definitive source of insight, data and news on the transformation of the energy sector. BNEF has staff of more than 200, based in London, New York, Beijing, Cape Town, Hong Kong, Munich, New Delhi, San Francisco, São Paulo, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Washington D.C., and Zurich.
BNEF Insight Services provide financial, economic and policy analysis in the following industries and markets: wind, solar, bioenergy, geothermal, hydro & marine, gas, nuclear, carbon capture and storage, energy efficiency, digital energy, energy storage, advanced transportation, carbon markets, REC markets, power markets and water. BNEF’s Industry Intelligence Service provides access to the world’s most comprehensive database of assets, investments, companies and equipment in the same sectors. The BNEF News Service is the leading global news service focusing on finance, policy and economics for the same sectors. The group also undertakes custom research on behalf of clients and runs senior-level networking events, including the annual BNEF Summit, the premier event on the future of the energy industry.
New Energy Finance Limited was acquired by Bloomberg L.P. in December 2009, and its services and products are now owned and distributed by Bloomberg Finance L.P., except that Bloomberg L.P. and its subsidiaries (BLP) distribute these products in Argentina, Bermuda, China, India, Japan, and Korea. For more information on Bloomberg New Energy Finance: http://about.bnef.com.
Bloomberg, the global business and financial information and news leader, gives influential decision makers a critical edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. The company’s strength – delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately – is at the core of the Bloomberg Professional service, which provides real time financial information to more than 310,000 subscribers globally. Bloomberg’s enterprise solutions build on the company’s core strength, leveraging technology to allow customers to access, integrate, distribute and manage data and information across organizations more efficiently and effectively. Through Bloomberg Law, Bloomberg Government, Bloomberg New Energy Finance and Bloomberg BNA, the company provides data, news and analytics to decision makers in industries beyond finance. And Bloomberg News, delivered through the Bloomberg Professional service, television, radio, mobile, the Internet and two magazines, Bloomberg Businessweek and Bloomberg Markets, covers the world with more than 2,300 news and multimedia professionals at 146 bureaus in 72 countries. Headquartered in New York, Bloomberg employs more than 15,000 people in 192 locations around the world.