NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, today announced the 15 titles that comprise the Spring 2012 Discover Great New Writers selections:
- American Dervish by Ayad Ahktar (Little Brown & Co.)
- Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo (Random House)
- Birds of a Lesser Paradise by Megan Mayhew Berman (Scribner)
- The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau (Blue Rider Press)
- By the Iowa Sea by Joe Blair (Scribner)
- From the Memoirs of a Non-Enemy Combatant by Alex Gilvarry (Viking)
- Glaciers by Alexis M. Smith (Tin House)
- A Good American by Alex George (Amy Einhorn Books)
- Monstress by Lysley Tenorio (Ecco Press)
- The Rules of Inheritance by Claire Bidwell Smith (Hudson Street Press)
- Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron (Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill)
- The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey (Regan Arthur Books)
- The Translation of the Bones by Francesca Kay (Scribner)
- Wayward Saints by Suzzy Roche (Voice/Hyperion)
- What They Do in the Dark by Amanda Coe (W. W. Norton & Co.)
Discover Great New Writers seasonal promotion includes:
- 12 weeks of display in the Discover Great New writers bay, located at the front of 700+ Barnes & Noble stores and 100 Barnes & Noble College stores
- 20% discount on list price, with an additional 10% for Members
- Editorial coverage on the Discover Great New Writers landing page on bn.com, www.bn.com/discover and on The Discover Blog http://bnreview.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Discover-Great-New-Writers/bg-p/discovergreatwriters
- Daily tweets via the @BNBuzz Twitter feed
- Monthly More in Store feature on NOOK™ eBook Reader
- Monthly Feature on NOOK
- Monthly feature in the THIS WEEK email sent to bn.com customers
- Author events
Since 1990, the Discover Great New Writers program has introduced readers to extraordinary literary talents, many of whom have gone on to become perennial bestsellers as well as win Pulitzers and National Book Awards, among other prizes. Selections like Kathryn Stockett’s The Help and Khaled Hosseini’s The Kite Runner were translated into acclaimed films.
Fiction and nonfiction titles selected for this marquee program have one thing in common: great writing, from authors at the start of their careers. A select group of booksellers carefully review roughly 1,000 books a year--story collections and novels, as well as memoirs and narrative nonfiction that reads like fiction—and they then handpick 15 titles to present each quarter as a season of Discover Great New Writers selections.
Jeffrey Eugenides, Elizabeth Gilbert, Andre Dubus III, Khaled Hosseini, Kathryn Stockett, Jhumpa Lahiri, Jonathan Franzen, Sherman Alexie, Junot Diaz, Haruki Murakami, Jennifer Egan, Jonah Lehrer, Mary Roach, Terry McMillan, Kazuo Ishiguro, Rebecca Skloot, Mary Karr, Cormac McCarthy, Chang-rae Lee, Geraldine Brooks, Michael Ondaatje, Dorothy Allison, and Colson Whitehead are but a few Discover alumni whose work continues to captivate readers.
The Discover Great New Writers Awards are presented annually at a private event in New York. The fiction winner and non-fiction winner each receive $10,000 from Barnes & Noble. Runners up in both categories receive $5,000 and $2,500.
About Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS), the world's largest bookseller and a Fortune 500 company, operates 703 bookstores in 50 states. Barnes & Noble College Booksellers, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Barnes & Noble, also operates 637 college bookstores serving over 4.6 million students and faculty members at colleges and universities across the United States. Barnes & Noble conducts its online business through BN.com (www.bn.com), one of the Web's largest e-commerce sites, which also features more than two million titles in its NOOK Bookstore™ (www.bn.com/ebooks). Through Barnes & Noble’s NOOK™ eReading product offering, customers can buy and read digital books and content on the widest range of platforms, including NOOK devices, partner company products, and the most popular mobile and computing devices using free NOOK software.
General information on Barnes & Noble, Inc. can be obtained via the Internet by visiting the company's corporate website: www.barnesandnobleinc.com.
NOOK®, NOOK Tablet™, NOOK Simple Touch ™, NOOK 1st Edition™, NOOK 1st Edition Wi-Fi™, NOOK Color™, Reader’s Tablet™, PagePerfect™, Best-Text™, Fast Page™, NOOK Books™, NOOK Store™, NOOK Bookstore™, NOOK Newsstand™, NOOK Magazines™, VividView™, ArticleView™, NOOK Newspapers™, NOOK Comics™, NOOK Cloud™, NOOK Apps™, FREE NOOK Reading Apps™, PubIt!™, NOOK Discover™, NOOK Kids™, Read and Play™, Read to Me™, Read and Record™, NOOK Digital Shop™, Read In Store™, More In Store™, NOOK Friends™, LendMe®, NOOK Library™, NOOK Boutiques™, The Barnes & Noble Promise™, NOOK Books en español™, NOOK Study™, Free Friday™, Lifetime Library™ and Read What You Love. Anywhere You Like™ are trademarks of Barnes & Noble, Inc.