CAMDEN, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With more than 42 million American women suffering from some form of heart disease and risk factors on the rise1, eating a heart-healthy diet has never been more important – or more delicious thanks to Campbell Soup Company (NYSE:CPB). As part of the company’s AdDress Your Heart Cooking Challenge, celebrity Chef Richard Blais and Campbell’s Master Chef Thomas Griffiths were asked to face-off in a friendly competition to create mouthwatering dishes that incorporate two of Campbell’s nearly 100 heart-healthy products, all in support of the American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women® movement.
All the action is available for viewing on the Campbell’s KitchenSM Facebook page starting today as a three-part webisode. Viewers can vote for their favorite recipe, which will trigger a donation by Campbell to the American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women movement, to help fund research and eradicate heart disease. For every vote through March 1, 2012, Campbell will donate $1 to the movement, up to $625,000.
Blais – the winner of Bravo’s “Top Chef All-Stars,” renowned restaurateur and television personality – created a Spicy BouilliaBlais that was inspired by his love of Spicy Hot Low Sodium V8® 100% Vegetable juice, fresh seafood and fragrant herbs and spices.
“My goal was to show people that heart-healthy cooking and eating can be tasty and fun by stimulating the senses with bright colors, different textures and bold flavors to create a truly crave-worthy and soulful dish,” said Blais. Blais is personally committed to heart health through his own diet and exercise routine, having lost 60 pounds since 2002, as well as completing his first marathon in 2011.
Griffiths’ Mediterranean-inspired recipe, Spiced Chicken with Balsamic-Blueberry Green Bean Salad, amps up classic grilled chicken with the rich flavor of aged balsamic vinegar, sweet blueberries and a marinade made with Campbell’s® Select Harvest ® Healthy Request® Harvest Tomato with Basil soup. A warm salad of oyster mushrooms and green beans, together with brown rice infused with Pomegranate Blueberry V8 V-Fusion® 100% juice, rounds out this tangy, savory entrée inspired by Campbell products.
Commitment to Heart Health
Currently in its sixth year, Campbell’s AdDress Your Heart campaign has pledged to contribute more than $3.6 million to the American Heart Association through 2012.
“At Campbell, we have a tradition of culinary excellence, and this year’s campaign builds on that legacy to support our commitment to heart health,” said Eric Christianson, Vice President, Campbell Soup Company. “We hope these delicious and easy recipes will inspire people to feel like a top chef in their own kitchen.”
Campbell has made considerable breakthroughs in its longstanding effort to balance great taste with nutrition, and now offers nearly 100 convenient, delicious foods that are certified heart-healthy by the American Heart Association (AHA). This includes all 33 Campbell’s Healthy Request soups, Low Sodium V8® 100% Vegetable juices and Prego® Heart Smart Italian sauces, which have been screened and verified to meet the AHA’s certification criteria to display its Heart Check mark.
Visit www.Facebook.com/CampbellsKitchen to watch the “AdDress Your Heart Cooking Challenge” webisodes, get the recipes and coupons for Campbell’s heart-healthy products.
About Campbell Soup Company
Campbell Soup Company is a global manufacturer and marketer of high-quality foods and simple meals, including soup and sauces, baked snacks and healthy beverages. Founded in 1869, the company has a portfolio of market-leading brands, including “Campbell’s,” “Pepperidge Farm,” “Arnott’s” and “V8.” Through its corporate social responsibility program, the company strives to make a positive impact in the workplace, in the marketplace and in the communities in which it operates. Campbell is a member of the Standard & Poor's 500 and the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes. For more information, visit http://www.campbellsoup.com.
1 Roger V, Go A, Lloyd-Jones D et al. Heart disease and
stroke statistics—2011 update: a report from the American Heart
Association. Circulation. 2011. Published online ahead of print
December 15, 2010.
Chef Richard Blais’ Spicy BouilliaBlais
Prep: 55 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
2 lemons, medium
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup celery, sliced
1/2 cup fennel, diced
20 cloves garlic, peeled
1 small onion, diced (about 1/4 cup)
4 teaspoons fennel seed
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, crushed
2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
4 cups Spicy Hot Low Sodium V8® 100% Vegetable Juice
4 cups Low Sodium V8® 100% Vegetable Juice
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
4 fresh halibut fillets (about 12 ounces total)
4 fresh scallops
4 fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Healthy Request® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
1 slice Whole Grain 100% Whole Wheat Bread, toasted and cut in quarters
- Grate and zest lemon and squeeze the juice from the lemons into separate containers, set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch skillet over low heat. Add carrot, celery, fennel, 12 cloves garlic, sliced, onion, fennel seed, oregano and thyme and cook until the vegetables are soft but not browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetable juices and clams to the skillet. Increase the heat to medium and cook until clams open. Remove clams from skillet, cover and keep warm. Cook the remaining vegetable juice mixture until reduced by one-third. Stir in basil and half the lemon zest.
- Season fish, scallops and shrimp with the black pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in separate 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish, shrimp and scallops and cook until browned on both sides and cooked through. Sprinkle with the remaining lemon zest, lemon juice and parsley.
- Mince remaining garlic and stir in remaining oil in a medium bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup soup. Spread the soup mixture on the bread quarters. Reserve the remaining soup for another use.
- Divide the fish, scallops, shrimp and vegetable juice mixture among 4 shallow bowls. Place 1 bread quarter on each fish fillet. Top each with 2 clams.
Ingredient Note: Before cooking, discard any clams that remain open when tapped. After cooking, discard any clams that remain closed.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 422 Calories, Total Fat 13g,
Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g, Carbohydrates 44g, Cholesterol 54mg,
Sodium 591mg, Fiber 9g, Protein 33g, Vitamin A 166%DV, Vitamin C 143%DV
Master Chef Thomas Griffiths' Spiced Chicken with Balsamic-Blueberry Green Bean Salad
Prep: 35 minutes
Marinate: 1 hour 15 minutes
Bake: 10 minutes
Grill: 8 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
2 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/4 cup olive oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 3/4 pound)
1 can (18.7 ounces) Campbell's® Select HarvestTM Healthy Request Harvest Tomato with Basil Soup
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
3 tablespoons minced shallots
1/2 pound green beans, cooked
4 slices Pepperidge Farm® FarmhouseTM Whole Grain White Bread, cut into cubes
2 cups V8 V-Fusion® Pomegranate Blueberry
1 cup uncooked regular brown rice
Vegetable cooking spray
1/2 pound oyster mushrooms, sliced
1 cup fresh blueberries
2 cups spring salad mix
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush the garlic, black pepper, chili powder, coriander and 2 tablespoons oil to make a paste. Rub the chicken with the garlic mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Stir the soup, 2 tablespoons vinegar, remaining oil, basil and shallots in a medium bowl. Add the green beans and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 325°F. Arrange the bread cubes on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Heat the pomegranate blueberry juice in a 1-quart saucepan over medium-high heat to a boil. Stir in the rice. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Spray the grill rack with the cooking spray and heat the grill to medium. Grill the chicken for 8 minutes or until cooked through, turning the chicken over once halfway through the grilling time.
- Heat a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the blueberries.
- Drain the green beans, reserving 1 tablespoon soup mixture. Return the green beans to the bowl. Stir in the mushroom mixture.
- Place the salad mix into a medium bowl. Add the reserved soup mixture and toss to coat.
- Slice the chicken. Divide the rice among 4 plates. Top with the green bean mixture. Arrange the chicken on the green bean mixture and top with the salad mix. Drizzle with the remaining vinegar. Sprinkle with the bread cubes and additional fresh blueberries.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 430 Calories, Total Fat 6g, Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g, Carbohydrates 67g, Cholesterol 50mg, Sodium 300mg, Fiber 9g, Protein 29g, Vitamin A 30%DV, Vitamin C 70%DV
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50151986&lang=en