--(BUSINESS WIRE)--(NAPSW)—Though men’s grooming is on the rise, it is often still the case that when guys hear the words “grooming routine,” they envision a lengthy process involving many products and spending as much time in front of the mirror as their wives and girlfriends. This misconception about skin care can have painful consequences: Dove® Men+Care™, the brand’s first product line specifically designed for men, found that 50 percent of men experience some form of underarm discomfort or itching and believe this is the price to pay for using a powerful deodorant. It doesn’t have to be this way.
Dr. Jeffrey Benabio, dermatologist and men’s skin care expert, offers simple tips to help guys take better care of their skin without cutting into their free time.
“Grooming and skin maintenance aren’t just for women— there are simple things that guys can do that will visibly improve the look and feel of their skin,” said Dr. Benabio.
1. Ditch the Soap: Guys often rely on a generic bar of soap (or worse, shampoo) to wash their bodies. These products are too harsh and strip essential oils from skin.
“The dryness caused by soap is cumulative—the more you use it, the more damage you do to your skin,” said Dr. Benabio.
At the drugstore, grab a moisturizing body wash like Dove Men+Care Clean Comfort Body and Face Wash that is clinically proven to fight skin dryness with no irritation or tightness.
2. Upgrade Your Workout Gear: While working out or playing sports, try wearing fabrics that wick sweat away from skin to help prevent skin from staying wet (when moisture is trapped on the skin, it is at a greater risk for infection). Cotton, for example, is not ideal because it absorbs moisture. Check your local sports shop for moisture-wicking apparel made of materials like polyester or microfiber.
3. Don’t Forget Your Skin on Game Day: Tailgating and getting painted up in your favorite team’s colors is a tradition for many guys, but face paint makeup can clog pores and lead to irritation. After the big game, to completely remove the gunk, use a moisturizing body wash in the shower.
4. Remember That All Deodorants Are Not Created Equal: If the skin under your arms starts to itch or you see a rash developing, your deodorant is likely the culprit. Never treat this with rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide to “disinfect” the trouble spots—the problem is almost never an infection; it’s usually a contact irritation. Look for a formula that works best with your skin but still gives you the odor and wetness protection that you need. Dove Men+Care antiperspirants and deodorants, for example, are specifically formulated to be nonirritating and hydrating to help combat dryness while providing powerful 48-hour odor protection.
5. Have a Good Road Warrior Routine: When traveling to and from new regions with differing climates, know your skin and use products that you’re already familiar with; now is not the time to experiment with new lotions and deodorants that hotels might give you. Always have these basics in your travel bag: facial wash, moisturizer, sunscreen and products that do double duty, such as Dove Men+Care Body and Face Wash that also have Dove moisturizers, to provide total skin comfort and keep you traveling light.
Follow @DoveMenCare on Twitter or visit Facebook.com/Dove MenCareUS to join the conversation about skin care and more.
Note to Editors: November is National Healthy Skin Month.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50082866&lang=en