Today, virtualization, cloud computing, mobility, Web 2.0 and complex application architectures are changing the fabric of IT and, consequently, the requirements for performance monitoring. What’s needed is modern Application Performance Monitoring (APM) that streamlines the discovery, diagnosis and resolution of application issues before they affect users, violate service levels or negatively impact business. The Quest® Foglight® solution simplifies application performance monitoring and reduces the skills and effort required to manage applications, user experience and the supporting infrastructure.
- Quest Software is positioned in the “Leaders” quadrant in Gartner Inc.’s 2011 Magic Quadrant for Application Performance Monitoring1
- Quest takes a fully integrated approach to the five dimensions of APM as identified by Gartner: end-user experience monitoring; user-defined transaction profiling; application component discovery, modeling, and display; application component deep dive monitoring in application context; and analytics.
- With Foglight, Quest’s flagship performance solution, the company is making significant strides to simplify the monitoring and management of complex applications and end-user experiences, while offering unprecedented visibility across physical and virtualized environments to ensure the highest levels of business productivity, service delivery and customer satisfaction.
- According to a recently published research report, Gartner’s 2011 Hype Cycle for IT Operations Management2, the increasing adoption of private and public cloud computing is stimulating the desire for more insight into application and user behavior. This, in turn, is driving demand for APM tools that enable companies to proactively measure application availability and performance. Specifically, Gartner reports that “APM tools are critical in the problem-isolation process, thus shortening mean time to repair and improving service availability.”
Tweet This: @Quest @foglight positioned in leaders quadrant in @Gartner #APM MQ. http://bit.ly/qtoX8t
Quest Foglight Simplifies Application Performance Monitoring
- Foglight reduces the complexities of performance monitoring and shortens time-to-value with easy-to-use, flexible solutions that offer greater visibility into issues that impact application performance and end-user experiences across physical, virtual and mixed infrastructure environments.
- Unlike traditional performance monitoring and management solutions encompassing disparate point products that are difficult to deploy and manage, Quest Foglight was built from the ground up using a single code base and modular design to seamlessly integrate all five dimensions of APM.
- The virtualization management capability of Foglight continues to set the standard for virtual infrastructure monitoring, capacity planning, chargeback reporting, and service mangement in VMware ESX and Microsoft Hyper-V environments.
- Intuitive workflows as well as out-of-the box and drag-and-drop dashboards are designed to reduce mean-time-to-issue-resolution (MTTR), and offer extensive visibility into an organization’s entire environment to facilitate cross-functional team collaboration on critical business issues.
- Quest’s longstanding leadership in the performance monitoring of Microsoft Windows applications and deep-dive monitoring of multivendor databases is ideally suited for helping small to medium-sized businesses and large enterprises maximize operational efficiencies while reducing the cost, complexity and administrative overhead of managing application performance.
- Quest’s unique user experience management capabilities, real-time session capture, replay and analysis offer a 360-degree view from business, IT and end-user perspectives to expedite the resolution of performance problems and improve transaction conversion rates.
- Doug Garn, CEO, Quest Software
“Foglight raises the bar for end-to-end application performance monitoring with its fully integrated and modular approach. We increase IT staff efficiency while offering IT and business decision-makers unparalleled visibility into their services. In fact, we believe Foglight has the fastest time-to-value of any APM solution that provides the depth and breadth of coverage customers require. We believe Quest’s position in the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Performance Monitoring further confirms our leadership in this critical market segment and is a valuable proof point in reinforcing Quest’s continuing commitment to simplify APM.”
- Greg Maxwell, E-Commerce Development Manager, Wet Seal, Inc.
“Foglight has delivered significant productivity improvements for Wet Seal’s IT staff, saving them 40 hours a week in programming time by streamlining troubleshooting and enabling a proactive approach to application performance management. Now, we can turn that responsibility over to the network staff, knowing they can troubleshoot issues quickly. That extra savings has resulted in our applications getting into production faster because of fewer distractions and better quality, requiring less rework and user tests.”
- Quest Software, Inc.: http://www.quest.com/
- Magic Quadrant for Application Performance Monitoring: www.quest.com/gartner-magic-quadrant-quest/
- Application performance monitoring: http://www.quest.com/foglight
- Application performance monitoring webcast—“What is it and what can do it for IT and the business?”: http://www.quest.com/landing/?ID=5355
- Better incident management through application performance monitoring white paper: http://www.quest.com/documents/landing.aspx?id=10561
- Foglight APM—An Adaptive Architecture for all Environments: http://www.quest.com/documents/landing.aspx?ID=14985
About the Magic Quadrant
The Magic Quadrant is copyrighted 2011 by Gartner, Inc. and is reused with permission. The Magic Quadrant is a graphical representation of a marketplace at and for a specific time period. It depicts Gartner's analysis of how certain vendors measure against criteria for that marketplace, as defined by Gartner. Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in the Magic Quadrant, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors placed in the "Leaders" quadrant. The Magic Quadrant is intended solely as a research tool, and is not meant to be a specific guide to action. Gartner disclaims all warranties, express or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
Quest Software (Nasdaq: QSFT) simplifies and reduces the cost of managing IT for more than 100,000 customers worldwide. Our innovative solutions make solving the toughest IT management problems easier, enabling customers to save time and money across physical, virtual and cloud environments. For more information about Quest solutions for administration and automation, data protection, development and optimization, identity and access management, migration and consolidation, and performance monitoring, go to www.quest.com.
- Quest news releases: www.quest.com/rss/news-releases.aspx
Quest, Quest Software, Foglight and the Quest logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Quest Software in the United States and certain other countries. All other names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.
1 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Performance Monitoring by Will Cappelli, September 19, 2011.
2 Gartner Hype Cycle for IT Operations Management, 2011 by Milind Govekar and Patricia Adams, July 18, 2011