NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, Howcast Media and GE announced the launch of the “Tag Your Green” interactive map and the premiere of the “Tag Your Green Road Trip” web series starring popular Youtuber Shaycarl (more than 300 million YouTube views). “Tag Your Green” adds a smart, social component to GE’s ongoing ecomagination campaign. This initiative is part of GE’s ecomagination business initiative to help meet customers’ demands for more energy-efficient products and to drive reliable growth for GE.
Howcast’s “Tag Your Green” interactive map of America allows users to display and virtually tag their green innovations at www.facebook.com/ecomagination. Social media and web users can browse the map tags and discover great green ideas from people around the country. These range from forward-thinking tips like converting your car to bio-diesel fuel to advancements such as LEED certified buildings and multibillion-dollar investments in our future.
The first episode of “Tag Your Green Road Trip” goes live today and can be accessed on the map at www.facebook.com/ecomagination. Shaycarl travels to locations on the “Tag Your Green” map capturing local green innovations and providing viewers with information about the eco-friendly technology around them. Howcast is also creating short animated tutorials focusing on technologies featured in the series such as WattStation™ and jet engines, how they work and why they’re green.
“Howcast’s social experience shows that green technology is not a pipedream - it’s happening now in communities nationwide,” said Howcast’s Vice President of Strategic Programming Jeffrey Kaufman. “’Tag Your Green’ aims to start a conversation around local action led by real people and inspire everyone to learn more about their fascinating eco-friendly innovations.”
Ecomagination is a competitive force for growth across GE’s businesses. With $70 billion in sales and services through 2010, ecomagination has grown at twice the company average and GE is committed to continuing that success.
“GE is invested in the future of clean technology. The ‘Tag Your Green’ map and Web series visually communicate how we are all rebuilding our infrastructure in creative and environmentally sustainable ways,” said Mark Vachon, vice president of ecomagination. “We see real opportunities to better the environment while sparking innovation and action that benefit our customers and investors.”
Starting today and airing on Wednesdays, Shaycarl’s green stops for “Tag Your Green Road Trip” will include the following episodes:
- Episode 1 – June 8 – Austin, Texas – Shaycarl travels to SXSW to showcase GE’s Carousolar exhibit, a carousel and charging station powered by solar energy
- Episode 2 – June 15 – San Francisco, Calif. – Cutting edge green technology is explored at the California Academy of Science, where Shaycarl takes viewers behind the scenes of the forward-thinking green building and gives insight into how other buildings can be constructed after this innovative model
- Episode 3 – June 22 – Madison, Wis. – In this episode, Shaycarl showcases the Jenbacher, a machine that converts animal waste to power 2,500 homes
- Episode 4 – June 29 – Cleveland, Ohio – GE representatives explain the innovative 22-year lifespan LED light bulb at GE’s lighting headquarters
- Episode 5 – July 6 – Durham, N.C. – Shaycarl learns about GE’s next generation jet engine, the GEnx, designed to consume less fuel and reduce emissions
- Episode 6 – July 13 – New York, N.Y. – Musical sensation and passionate environmentalist James Blunt discusses planting a tree for every ticket sold online, his solar-powered home and more
For more information, please visit: www.facebook.com/ecomagination.
About GE’s ecomagination
GE is driving a global energy transformation with a focus on innovation and R&D investment to accelerate the development and deployment of clean energy technology. Since its inception in 2005, 110 ecomagination-approved products have been brought to market with revenues reaching $18 billion in 2009. With $5 billion invested in R&D its first five years, GE committed to doubling its ecomagination investment and collaborate with partners to accelerate a new era of energy innovation. The company will invest $10 billion in R&D over five years and double operational energy efficiency while reducing greenhouse gas emissions and water consumption. As part of the initiative, GE launched “GE ecomagination Challenge: Powering the Grid”, a $200 million financial commitment challenging innovators to join in developing clean energy technologies. It is extending this Challenge with the “GE ecomagination Challenge: Powering Your Home,” to develop technologies that help households manage their energy usage. For more information, visit the ecomagination website at http://ge.ecomagination.com/index.html.
About Howcast Media
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. From How to Paint a Wall to How To Grill a Perfect Burger, Howcast streams tens of millions of videos every month across its multi-platform distribution network. Led by a senior management team with deep roots in traditional and new media as well as technology, Howcast has offices in San Francisco and New York.