MENOMONEE FALLS, Wis.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Kohl’s Department Stores (NYSE:KSS) has closed on the purchase of a building for a new e-commerce distribution center located at 1701 Trimble Road in Edgewood, Md. Expected to open in July 2011, the 602,000-square-foot building will fulfill Kohls.com purchases, and Kohl’s will expand the facility to 1 million-square-feet by 2012. As part of the company’s continued growth which also includes 40 new stores and 100 remodels in 2011, the site was selected for its business-friendly community, strong economy, availability of a robust workforce and proximity to Kohls.com eastern customer base.
“We are committed to delivering on our promise to ‘expect great things’. This new facility will ensure that Kohl’s is able to accommodate the tremendous growth of our Kohls.com business,” said Ken Bonning, Kohl’s executive vice president of store planning and logistics. “We currently operate 20 stores in Maryland, and are pleased to expand our presence with this new facility and create approximately 1,200 jobs for the community over the next three years.”
“We are very happy to welcome Kohl’s and its new distribution center to our area,” said David Craig, County Executive for Harford County Government. “Harford County is working diligently to bring more quality jobs to the area and we know that Kohl’s will benefit from the talented workforce in our community.”
The new facility will serve as a fulfillment site of Kohls.com purchases. Kohl’s has experienced more than 50 percent e-commerce revenue increase in 2010, and expects to achieve $1 billion in e-commerce sales in 2011. Upon the opening of the new Edgewood, Md. facility, Kohl’s will operate a total of 12 distribution centers across the country. This is the company’s third distribution center dedicated to serving Kohls.com customers; other centers are located in San Bernardino, Calif. and Monroe, Ohio.
External hiring will begin in March, offering hourly and management positions. Kohl’s expects to hire more than 200 full and part time associates when the facility opens in July. Once operating at full capacity, Kohl’s expects to employ approximately 1,200 associates at this location. Applicants interested in career opportunities are encouraged to visit kohlscareers.com for more information and a list of available positions.
The Real Value of Kohl’s – Commitment to Customers
At Kohl’s, it’s not just what customers save, it’s about what they get. Every day Kohl’s provides customers with an unconditional shopping experience through Kohl’s quality world-class national and exclusive brands, unique savings tools, unbeatable policies, customer conveniences, Kohl's Cares cause merchandise program and a commitment to environmental responsibility.
Kohl’s commitment to customers has been recognized by the National Retail Federation* for the past six years on its list of retailers that offer the best customer service. In addition, Kohl’s has ranked among the top retailers in the University of Michigan’s** customer satisfaction survey for nine consecutive years, including ranking number one among mid-tier department stores in 2010.
Kohl’s Cares® – Community and Environmental Commitment
Kohl’s cares and strives to be an active member in the cities and towns where Kohl’s does business. Through charitable giving and volunteer programs for kids’ health and education and environmental initiatives, Kohl’s is making its communities happier, healthier, greener places to live and work. Kohl’s supports local communities through Kohl’s Cares® philanthropic programs which include:
- Kohl’s Cares Cause Merchandise Program – Throughout the year, Kohl’s sells kid-friendly cause merchandise, with 100 percent of the net profit donated to support children’s health and education initiatives. Since 2000, more than $180 million has been raised nationwide through our Kohl's Cares® cause merchandise program.
- Kohl’s Cares Associates in Action Program – Kohl’s Associates make a difference by volunteering in their communities and partnering with qualified nonprofits. More than 385,000 associates have donated more than 1.2 million hours of their time since 2001 and Kohl’s has donated more than $35 million to nonprofits throughout the nation.
- Kohl’s Cares Scholarship Program – Kohl’s also recognizes and rewards youth volunteers. Since 2001 Kohl’s has awarded more than $2.6 million in scholarships and prizes to more than 13,000 youth volunteers through the Kohl’s Cares Scholarship Program, and will recognize more than 2,100 kids this year with more than $415,000 in scholarships and prizes.
- Kohl’s Cares Fundraising Gift Card Program – Kohl’s has also raised more than $32 million for youth organizations through fundraising gift cards.
- Kohl’s Cares Advancing Environmental Solutions – Kohl’s is committed to being a leading environmentally responsible retailer and to protecting and conserving the environment. Kohl’s has 92 stores nationwide built according to a prototype that received Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) initial certification at the Silver level from the United States Green Building Council. Eight of the nine new stores that Kohl’s opened this spring were built according to that prototype.
Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Information
This press release contains "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 including guidance on the Company's targeted sales and earnings. Kohl's intends forward-looking terminology such as "believes," "expects," "may," "will," "should," "anticipates," "plans," or similar expressions to identify forward-looking statements. Such statements are subject to certain risks and uncertainties, which could cause Kohl's actual results to differ materially from those anticipated by the forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, those described in Item 1A in Kohl's Annual Report on Form 10-K, which is expressly incorporated herein by reference, and other factors as may periodically be described in Kohl's filings with the SEC.
About Kohl’s Department Stores
Based in Menomonee Falls, Wis., Kohl’s (NYSE: KSS) is a family-focused, value-oriented specialty department store offering moderately priced, exclusive and national brand apparel, shoes, accessories, beauty and home products in an exciting shopping environment. With a commitment to environmental leadership, Kohl’s operates 1,097 stores in 49 states. In support of the communities it serves, Kohl’s has raised more than $180 million for children’s initiatives nationwide through its Kohl’s Cares® cause merchandise program, which operates under Kohl's Cares, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Kohl's Department Stores, Inc. For a list of store locations and information, or for the added convenience of shopping online, visit www.Kohls.com.
* The NRF Foundation (NRFF) is the research and education arm of the National Retail Federation. A non-profit foundation created in 1981, the Foundation conducts industry research, develops education and workforce development programs, professional certification programs and promotes retailing as a career destination.
**The National Quality Research Center (NQRC) at the University of Michigan Business School is a research and teaching center focusing on the measurement of customer satisfaction and the study of its relationships to quality, customer retention, profitability and productivity for private and public sector organizations, for specific industries and for national economies.